need help with new garmin 64s

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by jefffski, Mar 8, 2018.

1. jefffski

jefffski Paddler

I just bought a brand new Garmin 64s. I have Bluechart installed on Homeport with waypoints and routes. I have copied the bluechart and waypoints onto a micro sd, inserted the micro sd into the gps but neither show up on the unit. I also tried adding it to the sd card via the usb cord. Perhaps I have mislabled the file. Can somone help.

Thanks,

jeff

2. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Jeff-
    Where did your copy of the Bluechart file come from? If it is 'locked' it won't show up at all in the Maps list in Setup.
    Did you put the .img file into a folder named "Garmin"?

The 'default' name for the (first) chart in the Garmin (note upper case G) folder is gmapsupp.img
    You can have more than one chart in that folder.
    Robs Topo VI is useful and could show you if it's a Garmin locked file issue or something else that's the problem. You can find the Robs Topo with a search. The filename on the SD card in my 64s is Robs TOPO vi 1.38

3. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Waypoints-
    I've never tried copying waypoints on to the SD card - I just upload ('send') waypoints to the GPS with software when the GPS is connected to the computer via USB, so they get copied into the 'internal memory' of the 64s. There's quite a lot of 'room' for charts in the internal memory of the 64s - you could eventually put RobsTopo or other charts in there..

4. jefffski

jefffski Paddler

Thanks for those suggestions. I figured it out and it now works!

JohnAbercrombie likes this.
  5. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I'm glad I helped.
    Garmin make great products but the documentation/manuals/instructions are pretty bad.
    I've been using Garmin GPS since the 1990s and I still have to hit the web to figure things out.

6. jefffski

jefffski Paddler

As a professional writer (I write help docs etc), their manuals, both online and in print, are useless.

7. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

They have gotten worse over the years as the devices have gotten more 'feature rich'. The manual for the 12XL wasn't 'that bad' as I recall.
    One of the exasperating things about the Garmin handhelds is that sometimes -but not always- you need to push the Menu button to display options and at other times Enter will get choices to display. Even though I've spent a fair bit of time with my 78 and now have a 64s as well, it's still a matter of : "Let's try the Menu button and see what happens".
    Even some tasks that should be simple, aren't.
    Example: You'd think that putting the cursor over a chart location and pressing 'Mark' would generate a waypoint at that spot..or bring up choices ("New waypoint at chart location or new waypoint at your present location").......NOPE....'Mark' always generates a WP at your present location.

I'm just making sure I have enough of the models with buttons and AA batteries to last me..... :)

8. jefffski

jefffski Paddler

Ya, you'd think that pressing the MARK button would place a waypoint where the cursor is. Surprise! Not.

Also, many times, I've pressed the menu button instead of the enter buttom s and ended up having to start all over again.
    Whatever.

We plan to use it just to figure out where we are on the water as we travel around Bella Bella. Going to give it a try nearby this weekend .

9. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Definitely my pet peeve with my ancient but highly functional almost-a-doorstop Map 60C. The only rationale I can think of is that these handhelds are intended primarily as "field" units, always to be slaves to a desktop/laptop charting software that downloads waypoints, etc., to the handheld. A practical reason might be the likelihood of marking a waypoint imprecisely on that tiny, poor resolution screen. Not possible when the unit is using the precision inherent in actual GPS mode.

10. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I doubt that the Garmin software team has ever experienced "if we are going to Plan B, we need some new waypoints!" in a tent........
    :)

Pawistik likes this.
  11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Yeah, that is the basis for my beef. I screwed around with mine endlessly, experimenting with buttons and settings, but could never find a way to do it. Same was true for the power boat-based Garmin I had, a 198, IIRC. It also required downloading waypoints from my laptop, out of Mapsource, I think. Had to disconnect the whole unit and run it off the boat. Ugh. The olden days were over-rated!

12. Pascal

Pascal Paddler

Not sure if this is what you were trying to do :

Registering a waypoint at cursor (not present position) on my Garmin 60Cx:

1. With cursor (white arrow) positionned where you want on map, press Enter
    a. If there is map info at this location, the unit will select the layer element name at position. Goto 2.
    b. If there is no map info at that location, the unit will display the message:
    No map information at this point. Do you want to create a user waypoint here?
    → Select Yes. Goto 4.
    2. Enter
    3. Save (left)
    4. Modify name (top) from layer element to your name choice → OK
    5. Quit

To move it:
    1. Place cursor on it (base of icon flag pole ) until it enlarges
    2. Press Enter → tiny label "move" appears bellow icon
    3. Relocate using central button
    4. Press Enter when properly relocated

JohnAbercrombie likes this.
  13. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Hunh. Never saw that prompt. Have to try that sequence. Note mine is a 60 C, not a 60 Cx.

14. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

With the 76,78,62,64 handhelds it can be done OK, but it's a bit tedious in some of them - you need to rename the WP, etc...
    Much easier using software like HomePort or EasyGPS.

15. Pascal

Pascal Paddler

Dave: I am not familiar with the 60C but it is said here that You can mark a waypoint with the map panning arrow on this model. You may need to perform a firmware update if you don't get a response when pressing Enter at 2.

Astoriadave likes this.
  16. jefffski

jefffski Paddler

On Saturday, I used my Garmin 64s for the first time on the water in an area I am very familiar with. I was very happy with the results and performance.

I had tethered the device to the stern thwart in the canoe on a leash long enough to reach the box under my stern seat. When I wanted to use it, I simply reached down, pressed the power button and kept paddling for another 35-40 seconds until the device was fully on.

Then, I stopped paddling, picked it up and could immediately see our position. When I moved the cursor to a nearby point of interest, the device showed the distance and bearing to that point. EX-PZ. I then long-pressed the power button and replaced the device in the box under my seat.

I did not keep the power on all the time, because I do not need to record the track, speed or anything else. For my intended use as a backup to charts on multiday trips where conserving battery power is important, the device was fast and efficient at determining current position and the distance and bearing to the next point of interest.

Again, thanks for the help getting the marine chart installed.

17. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Jeff-
    Glad to hear the GPS is working out for you.

Just a FYI: If you are using waypoints (uploading into the GPS with EasyGPS or HomePort is easier than entering them via the GPS kaypad - a lot easier) and 'navigating' aka heading for a waypoint, the GPS will 'remember' it's navigating even after being powered down and back up.
    You can set up the DataFields in the Trip Computer page to show distance and bearing to waypoint. Using BigNumbers in the Trip computer makes things easier if it's rainy or you are 'busy' with paddling. You can also change the font size for the banner at the top of the map page IIRC.

About battery usage- a set of alkaline AA batteries will last a couple of days, if the GPS is left 'on' while paddling or hiking. After that, I use the AAs for other stuff, as they still have life in them, though not enough a few times I tried, to get through the third day in the GPS. Setting the display/backlight to shut off after 30 s or so (pushing any button will light it up again) saves a lot of energy. Also, turning off GLONASS and/or WAAS will cut the energy drain.

18. jefffski

jefffski Paddler

Good info. I'll look into the options in the trip computer.

To keep the GPS on all the time, we'd need at least 60 hours of battery power (six hours on the water per day for 10 days). How many hours can I expect with the display set to turn off and GLONASS and WAAS off?

19. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Jeffski,

John's numbers jive with my experience on my inferior Map 60C, sans WAAS and GLONASS. Alkalines have less capacity than freshly charged NiMH batteries, in case you want to reduce weight/volume. Mark Schilling, one of the moderators here, is my go to guy on best battery choices. I used to think alkalines had more capacity. Mark, and others, put me right.

20. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Here's some info on 64s and batteries from Garmin:
    https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...UID-C25912EB-64E0-473A-B001-028241D19C2D.html

The 'Map Drawing Speed' isn't listed in the menu options; it's the 'Detail' Control that's used. Less detail=faster drawing speed