• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

New Bowen Is Park includes camping - Metro Vancouver

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
Unfortunately minimal usable water access, so for general info only:

Metro Vancouver is proposing to spend $40 million to preserve part of a spectacular site that was being developed on Bowen Island.

This is an amazing site that should have all been preserved, but fantastic that a good part of it will be saved:
cape-roger-curtis-map.jpg

so the only useful marine accessible sites have all been taken in other areas of the original property. Here's the only useful one that I can see - it's at the extreme East border:
it has a 6-8m wide beach with ok material and slope but involves a hike over rock shelving to a sloped area with trees that likely has minimal flats, but could be used for tree hangers - I doubt that platforms would be entertained here
RogerCurtis-site2.jpg

Very interesting news. Tents only. But it doesn’t include Cape Roger Curtis itself, which remains a very popular day hiking destination.

Cheers,
Andrew

So is that a High "Tide only" landing zone? Reminds me of Dionisio Point's landing site on the east side of the island. A lot of timing is required with even a bit of pounding surf.

The photo is of near low so there's some sheltered mixed cobble at least down to 100mm diameter possibly less, and then a more exposed scramble and slide over logs to the hi water mark. Not easy, but not quite challenging except at moderately high water in waves let alone surf. S exposure. limited usability.
Not worth developing sites for water access - too exposed and looks like deep water adjacent.
my guess.

Back