New forums coming soon!

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Dan_Millsip, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know -- we're working on installing new forum software over the next week or so.

We've had some issues with the current software (which is free) in that our hosting company is updating their operating software and our somewhat long in the tooth forum software is no longer compatible. We considered upgrading to a more current version of the same software but the updated version doesn't really improve usability or offer any of the features that we'd like to see so we've decided (after a lot of consideration) to upgrade to a much better and more refined software that has features that many here have previously asked for.

The new software will look and feel very similar to what we've been using these past 12 years but is much more refined and intuitive. It also has many features that have been lacking, including:

- Better image uploading and handling - a huge improvement over the existing forums.
    - Upload multiple images at once.
    - Integrated image galleries - you'll be able to manage all of your images in a Gallery.
    - WYSIWYG post editor.
    - The ability to "like" a post.
    - Better quoting features.
    - Improved Personal Messaging.
    - Facebook, Twitter, and Google integration.
    - Fully responsive design - designed to view properly on your desktop, tablet, or phone.
    - Improved administration functions.
    - Way, way better Anti-Spam and security features.
    - Integration with Content Management System software that we'll be using in our upcoming site redesign.

The new forums will be a bit different to us as well and we'll still need to learn and sort through the setup so we ask that you be a bit patient with us if things don't work smoothly for the first few days of getting them up and running.

Thanks,

Dan

mick_allen likes this.
  2. AM

AM Paddler

Dan, I want to take this opportunity to thank you for all the work you and your fellow WCP mods have put into this forum for lo these many years. The web forum platform is an incredible way to harness the experience of a whole population of users and create what is essentially an encyclopedic database.

Between them, paddling forums like WCP, myccr, and UK Rivers Guidebook offer an embarrassment of riches. Sadly, I've known knowledgeable contributors move over to other platforms like Facebook, which neither in their culture nor in their (in)ability to archive information offer anything of any enduring value to the paddling community as a whole. Here's hoping that current WCP contributors continue to stick around and share their wisdom. It is much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Andrew

3. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

Hello Dan.

Will the current information in your voluminous database be archived in a readily accessible form?

This forum has been an incredible asset to the kayaking community, as all would attest. Your efforts have been incredible and much appreciated.

4. tmgr

tmgr Paddler

Wow, looking forward to the improvements! Especially the "like" button. But also, thanks so much for this wonderful resource! It really is much appreciated. I'm sure there are a lot of people like me, who may not contribute a lot, but who get so much information and enjoyment out of following the various threads. (Especially the "buy and sell", because those who know me would say I'm a bit of a kayak collector. But enough about me...) This really is a great resource for paddlers, and I'm glad to see it grow and evolve! :popcorn:

5. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

My thought also- will there be an archive available?
    Will the usernames, private message mailboxes, etc. be 'migrating' or will we be 'starting from scratch' ?

Dan-thanks again for all your work keeping this forum running.

6. a_c

a_c New Member

Looking forward to the new look and features.

I don't post much but I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge this site has to offer.

Thanks for all you do!

7. Dan_Millsip

Nothing will be lost. All of the content available now (user information, posts, photos, and private messages) will all be available in the new forums so no worries that we'll be 'starting over'.

Hopefully we'll continue being a resourceful community for another 12 years and more. :cool

8. Mac50L

Mac50L Paddler

As a webmaster for various sites I wish you all best. Good luck, forums are far better than Facebook with its messy format. A forum lets you pick your subject with no distracting "mess".

What is the new "engine" to be used going to be?

9. Dan_Millsip

Totally agree about Facebook -- biggest beef I have with it (among many other things) is that it's unsearchable. Forums are much better for continuous discussion.

We're replacing the phpbb forums with Xenforo forum software.

10. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

BIG THUMB UP! Consider this the first "Like" on the forum! :)

Dan and company are GREAT! (this was an unpaid endorsement!, so far...;) )

11. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Thanks for all the work you do on this! Great resource for us all.

12. tiagosantos

tiagosantos Paddler

That is great news :) Thanks for all the hard work keeping the site up and running! As one of the noobs, this forum has been my main source of paddling info. As much as I enjoy Facebook for random 'social' stuff, it can't replace a proper forum!

13. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Thanks for all your work Dan, and all those who help make this happen.

14. Mac50L

Mac50L Paddler

Is there any way to use anything else other than green print anywhere on the site? Especially pale green print, possibly the worst colour to ever to be picked. It is usually seen when a magazine takes on new layout staff who have never been taught the rules of the trade.

The other annoying thing is using small light grey print, again hard to read when black on white works the best. You don't see newspapers using light grey so why do it on a screen, especially if the background is other than white. The most readable writing is usually in advertisements, I wonder why?

Readability - please.

15. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Yes, the light gray print is a little hard to see. Could we increase the size of the font one notch, also?

Otherwise, like the new look.

16. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

You olde people have trouble reading don't you! My solution is to have my great granddaughter read the new text to me.