• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

NEW! - January Calendar Wallpaper

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
Happy New Year, everyone!

We've now posted our Calendar Wallpaper image for January 2006:

wp06-01-show.jpg

Click on "Wallpaper" on the top menu bar to view and download the new wallpaper image.

Mark took this photo of a ship passing in front of him in Haro Straight -- perhaps Mark can tell us a bit about this photo?...

Dan_Millsip said:
Mark took this photo of a ship passing in front of him in Haro Straight -- perhaps Mark can tell us a bit about this photo?...

Happy New Year!

This photo was taken in August 2004, while paddling back across Haro Straight between Stuart Island (most northerly of the US San Juan Islands) and Rum Island (on the Canadian side). The view is to the west, as I patiently wait for this freighter to cruise by. He was bound for Vancouver Harbour, heading north where he would round Turn Point on Stuart Island and through Boundary Pass into the Straight of Georgia.

The crossing from Stuart to Rum Islands is only a few kilometres, but these freighters come through at surprising speeds. I had already waited for one to pass, and saw another in the very distant south (heading towards me). I paddled farther into the straight but within only a few minutes the freighter was getting very close, so I sat and waited before continuing into Canadian waters. I started paddling almost immediately after taking this shot, as I wanted to experience the freshly formed wake. The waves are very high but are so far apart, you can barely detect any vertical movement. The wash was a bit turbulent but not as bad as I had expected.

I took a quick shot zoomed into the bow of this lightly loaded freighter; the wave off the bow gives an idea of the incredible speed it was cruising at - even before the relatively sharp corner at Turn Point.

hanjinbow.jpg

Back