New Neptune's ranger video

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Peter-CKM, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

A new Neptune's Ranger rock gardening video was posted to Youtube a few days ago. Pretty exciting stuff.
    [shortyoutube]http://youtu.be/tt7nR9dZTsM[/shortyoutube]

Anyone know what "Intermediate Disturbance Hypothesis" is?

2. chodups

chodups Paddler

OMG!
    Dude,
    Sick!
    Your absolute best to date.
    Gotta share it.

3. Reef

Reef Paddler

Few sea kayaking videos deserve a rock and roll soundtrack, but this one sure does!

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

:big_thumb

Awesome soundtrack and fabulous paddling fun.

5. pryaker

pryaker Paddler

Holy Crap, 2:20 sequence is insane, swallowed and spit back out, wow!

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

So is that what rock gardening is? Throwing yourself at rocks, basically? Wow.

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Not always that scary. Photos, other videos here: http://www.skils.ca/rock-gardening.html

8. t.george

t.george Paddler

It can get scary. When you consider most of the video is shot with go-pro or other wide angle cameras that tend to make things look smaller than they really are, it looks way more impressive first person.

All that being said, we don't just go out and throw ourselves at rocks. We observe, evaluate, someone will test a bit while others watch from a safe spot and position to help if need be. As a group we never push ourselves in level of difficulty and level of risk at the same time. "Push Your Limits" is the NR motto, but be smart about it.

It is a kick ass video though! I missed out on helping on it, maybe next time.

All the best, tOM, a.k.a. t.George

9. M2G

M2G Paddler

And great videos are mostly about honed editing skills, which y'all certainly do have. : )

10. t.george

t.george Paddler

Have to disagree. Without subjects with the skills to run the features there is no opportunity for footage to be edited. Without photogs with the skills to be comfortable in potentially dangerous spots and the ability to capture the moments there is nothing for the editor to work with.

Many times we go out without any plan to capture anything on camera. To be sure there is usually a couple of cameras and/or 'corders in the group; but in all honesty it is not the intent to grab pics/footage, it's about having fun with your tribe. When we go out with the intent of gathering footage it's a lot of work, fun work, but work none the less. The editing is left to Bill & Roger for the most part. They do deserve a lot of credit for editing a LOT of footage to give a glimpse of the fun we want to share.

My thoughts on the subject, tOM

11. M2G

M2G Paddler

People have been doing cool things ever since people were invented, though there are probably more adventurers now than there ever has been. Cameras have been around for a while but never before has it been so easy to document any given event because of the nature and relative affordability of the technology. Editing has always been the painful part of the equation. Depending on the skill and vision of the editors, you could end up with a great video, a video that's hard to watch or anything in between.

12. t.george

t.george Paddler

Wouldn't dream of arguing against your last, but stand by my earlier in it's context.

POE-TAY-TOE, pah-tah-toe, tOM

13. M2G

M2G Paddler

"Poe-Tay-Toe", eh? Into judging people much?

I'm no novice when it comes to documenting adventure sports, nor the creative process.

My first comment was actually a compliment to the editors, I'll leave it at that.

Have fun out there.

14. t.george

t.george Paddler

No offense intended, please unwad yer panties :D & I'll do the same. Simply pointing out we're looking at things a bit differently and that perhaps it's more about language than difference of opinion. I appreciated the complement for the editing; I believe we all agree it's raised the bar for us.

The only thing I took exception to was the "mostly" statement and simply pointed out that you need to have good content captured in order to be able to have anything to edit. I wasn't available to participate in this video, but know how much work is involved in getting enough material to work with. I thought everyone involved did a great job and felt your statement minimalized their efforts; thought I pointed that out in a non-confrontational way. Maybe my communication skills suck as bad as my camera & editing,(really bad, I rarely have much of anything worth contributing).

Have a great day, tOM

15. M2G

M2G Paddler

Sorry for my use of the word "mostly". That comment was meant to be focused on the post processing phase only, where the unskilled or uninterested can make a wreck of everything that was collected, while on the other end of the spectrum, there are those who have a way of making something fun to watch with just a few scraps of material. Didn't mean for it to downplay the efforts made in capturing the footage. Congrats on this video.

Looking forward to the next one.

16. t.george

t.george Paddler

Thanks Ron. I hope we can put something equal out that I get to be part of, after all it's way more fun to "see yerself on the silver screen". Maybe we'll finally get around to doing a surf vid I've been pushing for next winter.

All the best, tOM