New to Kayaking!

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Thetraveler, Sep 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rider

rider Paddler

Yeah, Jeff is awesome! I did two sessions of Whitewater of the Sea(rock gardening) one in a whitewater boat and one in a short sea kayak. The kelp in California is much gentler on the boats when i screwed up a move than bare rocks in BC :)

2. NWimport

NWimport Paddler

They are triple layer, abrasion resistance outer layer, foam middle and plastic inner layer. Almost as stiff as composite but no idea about ease of repair. Valley Kayak makes some of their boats in this material also. I hear they are bullet proof.
    Delta in Canada and Eddyline in Wa state make good boats out of ABS plastic. Same stuff they make hot tubs out of. Looks like composite but very lightweight and durable.

3. dermot

dermot Paddler

We have two corlite boats, a TideRace Vortex, and a P&H Delphin, both are heavyer than a similar glass boat, but not by much (comparing the Delphin155 to an Aries155), and lighter than a plastic boat by a noticable margin

and they do not make the crunching sound when in contact with rocks ;-)

my size 13 feet barley fit between the hull and the day hatch in the Delphin155, similar fit in the Scorpio HV, ok with socks or light water shoes, a challange getting in with my Brooks boots when drysuit weather time arrives... still the Delphin155 is a great ride for a bigger human who's not in a hurry, and does not need to carry a bunch of gear.

Eva's TideRace is tight fit for me, but works really well for her, and we have no issues doing overnights with these two

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019