• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

New York at xmas

blacksheep

Paddler
Well actually Hillsdale NJ but I have to leave the west coast and spend xmas back east
now I know the weather can be iffy but does anyone know if there is any paddling to be had either hiring a boat or hooking up with an easterner
we will be there from the 21st to the 28th
I know it is along shot
and maybe this should be in paddling partners
Mike

You might want to check out the Downtown Boathouse:

http://www.downtownboathouse.org/index.html

They now have three locations along the Hudson; not just the original downtown site at Houston street. It's a bit too late tonight, but tomorrow I'll call a friend in NYC who paddles out of the downtown site, and I'll ask him about their Winter activities (if they're open at Christmas, etc.).

I haven't heard from him in a while, but you might try looking up Ralph Diaz:

ralphdiaz@optonline.net

If it has to do with paddling in NYC and the surrounding area, Ralph is the one to contact.

Winter here in NYC around Dec is rather cold n icy. You'd have to be well dressed n hardy enough to brave the cold wind n waters of Manhattan.

Most NYC people are bustling with hollidays n family around that time, so not much in the way of sports happening other than marthon celibrations if you consider that a sport.

wow thanks to everyone I knew I would get a great reply
I tried jssk and got some great replies
we kayakers are truly wonderful people
I know it will be cold but I am prepared for that
any more suggestions would be great and I will post pics on my return

Not to worry, the water temps in NY in December aren't that much colder than July water temps in BC. and I don't imagine the air will be that much colder, either. If you dress for immersion, you should be ok.
Happy paddlin'!

camper10469 said:
Winter here in NYC around Dec is rather cold n icy. You'd have to be well dressed n hardy enough to brave the cold wind n waters of Manhattan.

Most NYC people are bustling with hollidays n family around that time, so not much in the way of sports happening other than marthon celibrations if you consider that a sport.

I lived in the city for 15 years, and looking back, I truly regret the fact that I didn't discover my passion for paddling until after I moved away. Sure the "bustling" around is great in the city during that time, but had I been a paddler back then, I would have happily paddled in the Winter. Granted, there were a few days (more in Jan/Feb rather than December) the cold/wind combination made it almost unbearable to be outside (zero degrees F, plus a strong wind), but there were many more days of lovely Winter that I spent, for instance, wandering around Central Park in the fresh snow, skating, etc.. Had I been a paddler back then, days like that would have been spent in my boat as well.

Melissa

Also remember, it's only in the past 10 years that public access to the NYC waters were developed. Before that, we had working piers n private business on the waterfront limiting launches to major beaches and parks in out lying boroughs. You'd have to blaze a path through the poison ivy n weeds hip deep in sludge to get to the water n try not to get caught by the cops or the parkies.

Ah, NYC living has gotten soft.

camper10469 said:
Also remember, it's only in the past 10 years that public access to the NYC waters were developed. Before that, we had working piers n private business on the waterfront limiting launches to major beaches and parks in out lying boroughs. You'd have to blaze a path through the poison ivy n weeds hip deep in sludge to get to the water n try not to get caught by the cops or the parkies.

Ah, NYC living has gotten soft.

Yes, it has changed a lot since I lived there...finally. Even though I wasn't yet a compulsive paddler back then, I did still like to get as close to the water as I could, so I found a few places where I could sneak down to water on both the Hudson and East rivers (a couple of those places could have been used to put a kayak in the water).

One thing I've always enjoyed is finding ways to get into places that I'm curious about. I remember one lovely Summer night when a friend and I found an open gate at the bottom of one of the towers of the Manhattan Bridge, so we climbed all the way up to the very top of the structure. Best view of the city! :) One very cold Winter night (well, at 2 AM), a couple friends and I decided to drive up to Albany. Along the way, we gave ourselves tours of a very nice monastery on the Hudson (forgot the name of it), and West Point as well. When we got to Albany, we really had to find a restroom. It was around 6 AM, and nothing was open. We walked around the Capitol building and found an open employee entrance. Our business done, we just started wandering around the deserted building; into the State Senate chamber, and everywhere else we could get into. After our exhaustive three hour tour, we walked out the front door just as they opened, and there we encountered a group waiting to take the first tour of the day! :)

Melissa

Well it snowed last night and only 3 days till we start for NJ
I thought I would see if anyone out NY NJ way would be up for a paddle on Christmas eve day
I will be in Hillsdale NJ i do have wheels (car) so I can get around
but I do need a boat any one have an extra :lol:
I know I am asking alot
mike

I sent a PM

but am not sure if it got through. There's plenty of snow here now, but it is going to be nice all next week.

Look for my message with contact information if you are still interested in paddling on the Hudson around Christmas-time. Lots of activity on the river.

Lyn

Back