• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

newbie navigation question

mbiraman

Paddler
I got JK's wild coast 3 book recently,,,. On some of the maps there are diamond shaped symbols with numbers in them like 27 or 34 etc. They aren't colored but are in the passages. I can't seem to find what they specifically relate to. Can someone enlighten me. Thanks

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-08 at 12.00.02 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-08 at 12.00.02 PM.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 813
I'm fairly sure those are the shipping check in points. Check out the beginning of the book where he discusses this. Basically with your vhf you can listen in and hear when the big guys are transiting areas you might be paddling. In areas with restricted sight lines this could save you from a mid crossing meeting that could raise your pulse a bit.

If thats not what they are (I know there's some sort of symbol for them) then I'll deny I ever wrote this.

If you are referring to symbols 26, 27, and 28 on page 396, Alana is correct; they are call in points. Ships call in to Vessel Traffic Services when they reach these points. It's similar to calling out mileage while on a radio-controlled logging road.
A list of points can be seen here and here

Back