• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Nice Images

Wow what a great picture... kind of looks highly similar to a wallpaper on this site...

It's not that difficult to clearly read the Copyright notice on the original wallpaper image. :roll:

10_wp07061280_1.jpg

Robert_Meier said:
It's not that difficult to clearly read the Copyright notice on the original wallpaper image. :roll:

There are two things about that site that bothers me:

1. They blatently stole a copyrighted photo. They should be told to remove the image or acknowledge Dan as the photographer (this is Dan's call, since it is his photo).

2. They state:
"Currently, we are developing our kayaks and paddles. By the end of the year we expect to offer a range of quality products. Please take a look and let us know how you think we are doing."
Shouldn't they be showcasing their OWN designs rather than the designs of other companies?

Comment left on the above-mentioned site...

The banner image above is a copyright infringement of a shot by Dan Millsip of WestCoastPaddler.com. Either remove it or at least give him credit for the shot. Hope your products and customer service show signs of more integrity than your website does.

:?

Those people actually stole an image from Bear Mountain Boats as well!

Under their link to 'Our Kayaks and Products' is an image of the Bear Mountain Enterprise. Their site would imply that this is one of their designs.

Here is the image from the Bear Mountain Boats site - http://www.bearmountainboats.com/plywood_kayak_kits.htm

This is rather dishonest of them!

-JEFF

RobertB said:
Comment left on the above-mentioned site...

The banner image above is a copyright infringement of a shot by Dan Millsip of WestCoastPaddler.com. Either remove it or at least give him credit for the shot. Hope your products and customer service show signs of more integrity than your website does.

:?

It appears it has been removed. Not the picture, but your comment.

Let's give google something to reference: kayak42 kayakfortytwo kayak 42

On March 26 2008, the residents of West Coast Paddler Forum observed that a copyrighted image from the West Coast Paddler website had been copied, modified, and used without permission on the kayak42 website. The URL of the original image is http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/calimag ... 06-800.jpg The URL of the "stolen" image is http://kayak42.files.wordpress.com/2008 ... akdesk.jpg A comment left on the kayak42 website informing them of the "theft" was swiftly removed but the "stolen" image was not removed. Contact information for the offending website is given as:
Kayakfortytwo Bob and Sue 142 Monmouth Road Dorchester DT1 2DH bob@janemerry.wanadoo.co.uk

Can one of the moderators remove my first posting? The URL of the offending image didn't have a space before the end-of-sentence period. Thanks.

nootka said:
Can one of the moderators remove my first posting? The URL of the offending image didn't have a space before the end-of-sentence period. Thanks.

D'oh! We were both on it together.

Damn, what sleaze on the part of kayak42.

SoCalJeff said:
Those people actually stole an image from Bear Mountain Boats as well!

Under their link to 'Our Kayaks and Products' is an image of the Bear Mountain Enterprise. Their site would imply that this is one of their designs.

Here is the image from the Bear Mountain Boats site - http://www.bearmountainboats.com/plywood_kayak_kits.htm

This is rather dishonest of them!

-JEFF

I KNEW I had seen that kayak before!! I was actually going to reference it in my first message, but I wasn't sure. I like how the image name is "ourkayak1.jpg". :roll:

ourkayak1.jpg

First off, Bear Mountain is aware that their image is on the site -- the fellow in the UK has purchased 2 kits from them and they don't seem to have a problem with him using their image. I was told that he seemed like a nice fellow.

fwiw, I used that same image on my Enterprise build page -- but I did ask the folks at Bear Mountain and was given permission to use it.

With regard to my photo being used -- no permission was asked for and none was given. I'll be sending off an e-mail to the fellow tonight and am hoping that there won't be a problem.

Dan - not only did you ask permission to use the Enterprise photo but you also give clear credit to the designer of the boat as well as to the company Bear Mountain Boats. You are honest and respectful to those people who put time into the design of the boat and the kit.

This kayak42 guy gives no such credit - in fact, the way they use the image implies that this is their boat - The image is displayed in the context of "Our Kayaks .." The description vaugely says that "we are developing our kayaks .." This is all a bit shady.

Despite your news that Bear Mountain Boats is not bothered by kayak42's use of the image, I still find the way they use the image troubling. I believe that kayak42's use of the image is both misleading and disrespectful. -- Just my 2 cents!

I hope that you get a response from kayak42 with regard to their use of your image. Please keep us all updated!

-JEFF

Back