Nikon 1 AW1

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by M2G, Apr 14, 2014.

1. M2G

M2G Paddler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

…more to come…but you get the idea. :wink:

2. Finn

Finn Paddler

I am really interested to see how you like it M2G. I have been thinking about dumping the DSLR and going with something like this. Waterproof, shockproof and interchangable lenses....this thing looks like it was built for the abuse I would put it through!

3. M2G

M2G Paddler

http://youtu.be/bKjme3t5KKE

It's built to take some punishment and continue functioning.

I'm not dumping my DSLRs but I'm also not bringing them on the majority of my paddling outings. The 1 AW1 is the ticket as far as I'm concerned but time will tell.

4. windancer

windancer Paddler

Ron

Congrats........Glad you finally got your Nikon 1 AW1 camera, once you have given it a go and tried it out please let us know what you think. What lens(es) do you have? Correct me if I'm wrong but does Nikon state that it is only waterproof when you use it with only 2 of the available lenses? I personally would like to know what you think of it, as you know I have a Nikon 1 V2 which is not waterproof.

I personally need the interchangeable lenses which mean much more difficulty in weather sealing or in this case, waterproofing.

Terry

5. windancer

windancer Paddler

By your photos, I now see how they make the lens mount waterproof, as I said earlier I anxiously await your findings.

Terry

6. M2G

M2G Paddler

Hey Terry. The lens mount itself isn't waterproof. The non-waterproofed series lens/adapters mount flush to the front of the lens mount on the body. Waterproof lenses have a flange that extends back past the mount and overlaps with the shown o-ring behind the body's lens mount.

The only lens I have for it currently is the 11-27.5mm kit lens. It will be a while before I really come to a conclusion. Should be getting my first instruction on wet exits and self and assisted rescues here in the next week or so and I plan on just throwing it in the foredeck hatch for that or those sessions.

The more of these people buy, the more Nikon will advance the line, one might think. From the activity on Youtube, it appears as they may have some kind of campaign going on to get word out about the system's capabilities.

Kayakers should be all over this. Why? The popularity of this camera and mode of carry could bring other higher image quality options (waterproof) in about the same size, and might even inspire a few more kayak manufacturers to push designs with useful foredeck hatches. Come on Valley, drop those pods and give us something we can put a camera like this in. :wink:

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Way more camera than I need, but that is an astounding collection of features. I will be watching for your evaluations as you use these babies.

The camera does not float, I guess?

8. M2G

M2G Paddler

http://youtu.be/xjqq_nd0_SM

http://youtu.be/PP6-dJBxqTk

Yeah Dave, a lot of capability/features. Nope…doesn't float and if it did, it wouldn't fit in my hatch. Why I ended up choosing silver! :) I'll probably create a tether for it with a built in quick release.

9. windancer

windancer Paddler

Thanks Ron, Sorry, I thought the O-ring on the camera side of the mount in conjunction with the lens flange and it's O-ring made it all waterproof. As I mentioned before once you have had time to put it through some paces, I would be interested in you thoughts. Do you like not having a view finder?

I know I personally have the 6.7-13, 10-30 (rarely used) and the 10-100 lenses for my 1 V2 and am very happy with them. But as I said before maybe water resistant, but definately not waterproof. :D

Hope all your kayak training goes well.

Terry

10. windancer

windancer Paddler

Personally I think they look sharper......... :D I choose the unlikely white for my camera. My reason was due to the fact I took my camera on a kayak trip to Mexico and the white was much cooler, temperature wise, than the black. Two of my lenses are white and the 6.7-13 is silver (it doesn't come in white) Ron's reason of visibility is also a very valid point.

Terry

11. M2G

M2G Paddler

Thanks Terry. I'm dyin' for next week to get here.

TO BE CLEAR: What I was saying in another way is: The lens mount on the camera body doesn't make the connection with any 1 series lens a waterproof connection. Any of the AW rated 1 Series lenses mounted on the 1 AW1 body make a completely waterproof camera/lens combo, and I assume Nikon is working away to produce additional offerings in the AW variety. In your case Terry, if you bought the 1 AW1 you'd at least have a more protected body with built in GPS tagging. In my case, I'm not going to buy additional lenses, hoping the ones I want will be offered as AW versions. That 6.7-13, waterproofed is what I'd like for them to introduce next.

12. windancer

windancer Paddler

I just wish the ice was thawed here so I could go paddling :D I got my trailer ready already and my next project is to get my kayaks down from the rafters and loaded on to the said trailer.

Terry

13. datakoll

datakoll Paddler

Beautiful jewel like an ancient Leica. Un-ergonomic, complete disregard for the human hand n nervous system. Needs a rope tied to a crab trap float.

How is the exposure adjusted ? Automatically under all light conditions ? Or does the design require a movement separated from point and shoot ? The Canon I struggle with has a small dial requiring force from two plier like fingers from a third arm reached across the chest for exposure adjustment.

However the Canon does sport a huge grip handle on the right side. Not bolt able to the left side.

14. M2G

M2G Paddler

Not sure what you're calling "un-ergonomic"; an old Leica or the subject of this thread. Subjective judgement at least to a degree. The Nikon 1 AW1 seems to be well arranged.

As to "ropes" and grips…also subjective. I've been shooting all kinds of cameras since I was about 7 years old and I do not used camera straps. So far, the only exception for that is when I've been working events where I need to have two bodies in use throughout the day. I doubt if I'll even tether this camera but we'll see.

15. M2G

M2G Paddler

Aperture priority, adjustable while operating the camera with only one hand. Also exposure compensation….and Adobe Lightroom, etc.

And, as one of the videos shows, this camera allows you to make some adjustments by pushing one button and then tilting the camera body to the left or right.

16. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

If I didn't already have a substantial investment in my Lumix m4/3 system, I'd for sure be looking at this one. M4/3 photo quality is IMHO very, very good (leaps and bounds over point and nearly all shoot cameras) and total waterproofness for paddling is a really big deal.

Looking forward to seeing some photos from your upcoming adventures.

17. Byron

Byron Paddler

Some of the m4/3 systems (Olympus OMD EM5 for example) are weathersealed to the point one can pour water on them without problems.

That might be good enough for paddling if one wanted the image quality of the m4/3 system.

18. M2G

M2G Paddler

The Olympus OM-D E-M5 is tall enough however that it wouldn't fit into the hatch in front of my cockpit combing. Also, really wish I would have had the Nikon 1 AW1 in the water with me when I was doing assisted rescues today but that would be out of the question with a weather-guarded camera. The only reason I didn't have the 1 AW1 in the water with me to get some video and shots from that perspective is because this was a private lesson and only the second time I've ever been in a single kayak. Other things to focus on.

The Nikon was in my hatch for many wet exits and rescue scenarios today. Again, I focused on what I was supposed to be learning but did grab it a couple of times just to fire off a test shot when I wasn't doing anything (which was rare).

[​IMG]

That's out of the camera with no adjustments. No blown highlights and nice detail in the shadowed areas. Last thing my instructor did before we paddled back to our launch was a roll and I got the camera out for that and got it in video. It is high quality with great sound and while the 11 second video was rolling I took 7 stills.

Waterproofness was not tested. My hatches stayed completely dry and it didn't start raining here until we were out of the water.

I'll probably give it more of a true test on Thursday night; in the water and at a more photographic location.

19. M2G

M2G Paddler

And BTW. This shot looks great at full screen but my photo sharing site limits linked image sizes. Take it from a pro…this camera is in a class of it's own as far as I've seen, squarely suited for kayakers. Lenses. That's the holdup. The kit lens seems to do a fine job but I want a wider and longer reach, waterproofed. I'd bet they are coming.

20. Byron

Byron Paddler

It's definitely a class above the P&S waterproof cameras.

Have you seen an actual waterproof lens roadmap from Nikon? I rarely shoot the focal lengths of that existing 2.5x zoom...usually it's wider (for landscapes or action) or longer (for wildlife). A 10x zoom would be nice especially to avoid changing lenses at sea (assuming it is really being used as a waterproof camera...ie getting wet).