• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Nuchatlitz planning question

eggabeewa

Paddler
I've never been to Nuchatlitz but recently have been thinking about the logistics for a future trip. I didn't find a lot of information on wcp but have gleaned from various sources that most people taxi in from Zeballos or Tahsis, but according to Heather Harbord it is a reasonably straightforward paddle from either of those points, except for additional travel days. Does anyone have any recommendations opinions? Maybe taxi one way. I would personally like to paddle at least one way or both. Tahsis seems the best for driving access but Zeballos maybe better for padding aspect. I would anticipate a trip of at least 7-10 days so sufficient time and the group would probably include several intermediate paddlers but also several experienced ones. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
What about starting from little Espinosa?

If you don't want to spend money on a water taxi, Little Espinosa is the best option, as mentioned above. From there, it's only a couple hours paddle to the 'good stuff'.

It's a long, boring paddle in/out of Zeballos (IMO) and it can be a bit of a slog. The various turns and twists in the inlet cause the winds to funnel in odd directions; a NW wind at your back when heading towards Zeballos becomes a headwind a few points down the inlet. The fog can really sock things in, too, especially in August.

I've been to Nuchatlitz three times (most recently in 2021), always via Zeballos so I can't speak to the Tahsis route. I've always opted for the water taxi in/out, though we did exit via Little Espinosa one time, having arranged with a local to drive us back to the village to pick up our car. I would have no issue with starting/ending the trip from this spot.

I'd suggest a paddle around Nootka Island. This gives you a wide choice of starting points. The paddling is not difficult. If needed, you can avoid afternoon winds via early starts. Surf at Third Beach & Calvin Creek can be avoided with a bit of knowledge & planning.

Reactions: AM
I’ve only launched from Tahsis. I’ve done that twice for solo trips: one to Nuchatlitz and back, the other around Nootka Island counter-clockwise (which, as @nootka said above, is a nice trip).

Here’s what’s good about Tahsis:
- since I’m coming from Vancouver, there are good options to overnight along the way to break up the trip: Buttle Lake campground in Strathcona and the hotel in Gold River. I like the hotel option in GR, as I can grab a pub meal and good sleep the night before, then get up early to arrive in Tahsis at a decent hour.
- the gravel road from GR to Tahsis tends to be well maintained and travels through some beautiful country.
- ample parking in the community lot across from the boat launch.
- Sally’s Grill is right beside the boat launch for pre- or post-trip caloric intake.
- it’s only an hour or so paddle to Tahsis Narrows, which is a really pretty spot to paddle through and features little communities like Ceepeecee and Esperanza.

Here’s the bad about Tahsis:
- once past Hecate Channel, it‘s a long slog to Garden Point or Rosa Islet. Definitely doable in a day, but it’s inlet paddling. For a more scenic experience, the north side of Esperanza to Catala has some interesting features.
- well, it’s an inlet…so, wind.

I’d do it again. I don’t mind the slog: it’s dues I pay to get to cool places.

Cheers,
Andrew

Thanks all of you for your info. It's not the taxi cost. I would like to explore at least one way at paddle speed. And the group would not be interested or appropriate for a circumnavigation of Nootka as we've all hiked the trail at least once or more. Thanks.

It is only a 3-4 hour paddle from Little Espinosa to the Nuchatlitz if the winds are amenable...
If there is a strong inflow then Espinosa is a grunt and crossing Esperanza is the crux. You may have to camp part way.
If the conditions are appropriate then the North shore of Esperanza out from Espinosa is the most interesting route but you are more exposed to the conditions when you cross to Rosa.
If you take a taxi out you will have to paddle back to where the taxi came from or arrange a shuttle so you can paddle in Little Espinosa which I always find to be a very pleasant end to the trip. (I haven't paddled up to Zebellos so maybe it is also very pleasant...)
I have left the Nuchatlitz in the morning and been back in Vancouver in the evening but it is a bit of a rush. :(

Looking some weather knowledge and experience for Nootka Sound. Planning a trip mid July either to Nuchatlitz or Bligh Island. We are early morning paddlers, so usually off the water by noontime. Specifically how the swell changes if it does, betweeva NW wind vs SW wing through the channel north of Rosa Is. back to Garden Point. Same for north side of Bligh, although, Bligh island seems less exposed.

Looking some weather knowledge and experience for Nootka Sound. Planning a trip mid July either to Nuchatlitz or Bligh Island. We are early morning paddlers, so usually off the water by noontime. Specifically how the swell changes if it does, betweeva NW wind vs SW wing through the channel north of Rosa Is. back to Garden Point. Same for north side of Bligh, although, Bligh island seems less exposed.

I have only been to Nootka/Bligh once and the weather was good (clear skies, stable high pressure). For that case there was a light outflow early in the morning then calm until the inflow got going around noon or early afternoon. No swell to speak of until you get further out near the Pantoja Is area. Little exposure to the direct NW winds until you get out of the Sound. Would expect it to be a bit more lively if there was a significant SW wind going. I parked at the Cougar Creek camp area- busy during peak salmon season but quiet after that. When I went to Nuchatlitz (once) we used a water taxi from Zeballos to Rosa.

Thank you for your information. We are not planning on extending our trip beyond Rosa Is. We travel by a tandem, so we tend to stay out of the fray of surf and swells. Sounds like, wether depending, Rosa Is is do able.

I fear you might be missing the nicest bits if you stop around Rosa- the area just SW of Rosa is quite protected and has a lot to see. If you go that far best not to miss it. It's the part most people go down to paddle around in. Also access to Nuchatlitz or the Nootka/Bligh area can be facilitated by the MV Uchuck III kayak transportation.

Hey thanks for the insight. I will do some research on the area. How is the area Sw if Rosa if the wind picks up. It seems when we visit Van Is in July a a NW wind seems to settle in north of Jonstone Strait. Last year in the DS after the heat dome calapsed, the wind filled with 20-25 kt winds. Don't want to get caught in that mess on the cosat.

If you stay on the inside from Rosa into the Nuchatlitz area it is fairly sheltered and there are options to exit as well (see the BC Marine Trails site list). I believe that the area on the inside is Class II, and Class III on the outside <Link>. The Johnstone Strait area is a wind funnel so can blow up pretty fast, with the added thrill of some strong currents in places.

Hey Brian, you sound like a cautious paddler which is great, I think you'll find that if you're an early morning paddler with weather watching skills you'll do fine pretty much anywhere on the west coast, including the outer coast. Unless a front is moving through the diurnal wind pattern holds up pretty well so being off the water by noon you'll avoid the afternoon winds. You end up with groggy morning tiredness but once you get to your destination midday brunch followed by a nap in the breeze has its own appeal.

Hey Brian, you sound like a cautious paddler which is great, I think you'll find that if you're an early morning paddler with weather watching skills you'll do fine pretty much anywhere on the west coast, including the outer coast. Unless a front is moving through the diurnal wind pattern holds up pretty well so being off the water by noon you'll avoid the afternoon winds. You end up with groggy morning tiredness but once you get to your destination midday brunch followed by a nap in the breeze has its own appeal.
Pryaker,

Thank you for your reply. We tend to be early risers to beat the wind. Here in nor cal, wind is a midday regularity.

Back