Odors & Neoprene

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Tatlow, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Tatlow

Tatlow Paddler

Anyone have a long lasting method of getting booties etc to remain odor free? Have tried many soaps and powders but after a few paddles the booties seem to want to walk away on their own!

2. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

Rinse in a bucket of fresh water, turn them inside out, and let them dry in the sun completely before putting them away.

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Tatlow,

This one has worked well for several people I know: http://www.sinkthestink.com/ It uses a "... synergistic mixture of four special odor destroying bacteria cultures which are kept in a state of suspended animation while packaged in their Turtle Pak or bottle. "

The basic problem is that we shed skin into the fabric of the booties and bacteria find that a great food source for their activities. If they are bacteria good at making odors, you get that. The S-O-S people use other bacteria which break down the skin residue but without any odor.

Ken's method relies on promoting aerobic cultures of critters to do basically the same thing ... and/or dry the booties out so they are no longer hospitable for the little guys. It works well, also, in my experience.

4. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

I use anti-bacterial mouthwash (like Listerine). Reasonably cheap! I just rinse my booties with fresh water after use, then swish with mouthwash. Works well - even when I store the booties in the car to dry. Fresh mediciny smell :lol: . Like Astoria Dave says - kill the bacteria. I don't have time for my boots to dry between uses so this solves my stinky dilemma. I even take a small container on longer trips to rinse with. :mrgreen: My feet stay much healthier too.

For other gear I use Mirazime although I do not find it as effective.
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4302803665

5. Jill

Jill Paddler

I find wearing a very thin pair of socks inside the boots helps. Keeps the flaking skin in the socks = less stink.

6. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

Wow! So you can use booties more than once?

7. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

I am gonna try the Listerine trick. Cause I can smell a shoe up like Al Bundy! :oops: