Off-gassing and smell

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by JKA, Mar 19, 2018.

1. JKA

JKA Paddler

Morning Folks,

Last night I did a quick repair on my Nordkapp, and I wonder if anyone has any tricks to speed up polyester resin off-gassing, or ways to neutralise the smell?

I'm paddling in three days time, and for a day of that the kayak will be on a roof rack, either in the carpark at work or travelling. I was going to leave it with the hatches off, and hope for a sunny day. It will be in a boatshed until then, so won't get any sun exposure.

Beyond time, I'm keen to hear any thoughts on speeding up the process. I did read that vinegar may help, but a friend laughed and asked if I then wanted everything to smell of vinegar! :(

Cheers

John

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

John, a thorough wash with hot soapy water, followed by a good rinse with tap water, will get rid of everything near the surface, and will not affect any exposed cured or semicured resin. Solvents such as acetone may remove more of the styrene monomer which most find objectionable, but some of the solvent chosen will permeate the cured and semicured resin. In essence, replacing the styrene with other, less objectionable chemicals, which will, in turn, slowly outgas.

Outgassing is inherently slow, and is hastened only by heating the repaired area. If you choose this method, avoid overheating the surfaces. A low heat from a hair drier is OK, but industrial heat guns are capable of producing subsurface bubbles ... with a small risk of damage to the repair.

3. JKA

JKA Paddler

Thanks Dave, time is the answer I guess.

Like many things really.:)

Cheers

John

4. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

use epoxy next time
    At first blush polyester should be easier to work with then epoxy, but in truth epoxy is easier,

5. JKA

JKA Paddler

I have a horrid reaction to epoxy, despite full face mask and respirator, full body coverage, and prophylactically taking antihistamines! I have used polyester, with reasonable precautions, for years, and the first time I used epoxy I turned into a swollen mess. Epoxy is the only thing I react to.

I washed the kayak and left the covers off for a few days, including on a days drive to the put in. I had a six day trip and didn't notice the smell once.

It was an interesting trip, I was assisting instruct a group of second-year adventure tourism students, and on the first night the lead instructor was stung on his forehead by a wasp, in his tent in the middle of the night. Despite no previous adverse reactions, he swelled up and we considered aborting the trip.

He came right over the next few days, and then later we were hammering into a solid 20knots, gusting 25, when one of the students was stung on the neck! We bailed to shore and dosed him on antihistamines, but he had no reaction apart from minor local swelling and being drowsy from the meds. That could have been nasty, and not a scenario that I had predicted!

Cheers

John

Astoriadave likes this.