Oh Deer: Meeting Equipment Challenges In the Deer Group

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by kayakwriter, Sep 25, 2017.

1. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

2. AM

AM Paddler

Well done, Philip! You must be a master of epoxy field repairs by now. A couple of questions:

1) What was in your repair kit and would you add anything?

2) Why did you take the skeg boat instead of your usual ride?

Cheers,
    Andrew

3. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Thanks Andrew!

"1) What was in your repair kit and would you add anything?"

A quick cure UV-activated fibreglass patch, a tube of Aqua-Mend putty, duct tape, assorted bolts and screws for seats etc, (hardware is difficult to whittle out of driftwood). When paddling my rudder boat I also carry spare rudder cables and crimpons. Tools include a multi-head screwdriver with bits for every type of screw on the boat, adjustable wrench, and a Vise Grip that doubles as a crimpon crusher.
    The kit also includes heavy duty needles and thread, Aqua-Seal for clothing repairs, patches of fabric that match the the tent and fly, SilNet silicone seam sealer (Aqua-Seal won't adhere to silicone-waterproofed fabrics) a tent pole repair sleeve, and patches/glue for my sleeping pad.
    For a multi week trip, I add some regular fibreglass cloth and epoxy.

"2) Why did you take the skeg boat instead of your usual ride?"

My paddling buddy was in a skeg boat, I wanted some touring experience in one, and (ironically) I though it would be more seaworthy in big water thanks to those rubber hatches. In fairness to the maker, this boat had been in rental/touring service for a long time before being retired, so it had gotten more wear than a privately owned boat would have received in a lifetime. And it was my bad for not inspecting it more closely prior to the trip.

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Great selection of goodies for that repair kit. Some stuff new to me. This kit is small enough there should be room in any boat for it.

This might be a good start for a separate topic, Philip.