Okisillo Rapids. The short film

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by DarrenM, Jul 19, 2007.

1. GWarner

GWarner Paddler

Very well done. Darren. Congratulations. Those tips we've been getting sound like echo's from Leon Somme and Shawna Franklin, all very good BCU stuff. I really like the perfect practice comment. I wish we had an island based BCU coach so we could get more of this. I've been thinking of experimenting with video and in fact had some short practice session on my old hard drive before the melt down. Maybe it's time to revisit that plan.

I've heard, maybe here, or maybe from Mark and Darren, that at less then 9.6 knots the wave lengthens out and becomes more uniform. I want to go back and try it under those conditions. Once it got big sliding in backwards didn't work. I only tried it once and completely messed up and ended up flushed out to the right. The most fun I had was simply punching into the chaos and bracing left, right, left, left, right, ops...whew! You could also punch across the eddy line below the rock to Marks left when he comes down the water fall. But once below the standing wave there simply was no way to get back to it through the chaos. Maybe we should have swung wide and came in as the zodiac did. Here' looking forward to going back.

I've been doing a lot of winter paddling in Baynes Channel down here in Victoria when the ebb is running against a Southeaster. The waves are pyramid shaped, bigger and without any rhythm, but as for sheer power and volume being upside down in a whirlpool at Okisollo with the stern sucked down one second and the bow a foot out of the water on the next rotation was something else. The power, the power....

2. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Im glad you liked it Gordin.
    The full length is pretty much done, and the DVD cover art is coming along as well.

[​IMG]

I have too much spare time.... :roll: :lol:

3. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Scha-weet. I was grinning all the way through that video...man, I can't wait until I have the skills (and guts) to try that!

When's the WCK t-shirt coming out? ;-)

4. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

LOL Im wearing it :wink:

I'm just doing this for shits and giggles... The "full length" is just all of the raw tape (with some minor edits) to give to the three paddlers. But I thought I might as well do up a nifty DVD insert. :p

5. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Was that for sh!ts and giggles too, or did you buy it somewhere? Seriously, I'd wear one. ;-)

6. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

All this winking is getting a little creepy. ;-)

7. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Be careful what you wish for Jurfie... Like the Mafia, once you're in, you're in for life.

Brad

8. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

As long as DarrenM doesn't wear those blingbling goggle-glasses and give me a kiss on the cheek, it's all good. ;-)

9. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I used that iron on printer paper stuff.

10. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

11. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Gordin

I think it was via me that you learned about the wave "greening out" and getting longer later in the flood. I emailed Bryan Smith (he answered from Peru where he was kayaking!) and he told me that it was a much better wave for surfing then. It is this wave that he is surfing in the teaser vid for Pacific Horizons. Apparently the maximum flood was about 10.6 knots then but it would have been running quite a bit slower when it was greening out.

I agree - we have to go back. I'm a few thousand miles away from my current tables (and a hundred miles or so away from the sea) in the UK at the moment but as soon as I get back I will be having a squint at them to plan further assaults on the Okisollo wave.

12. GWarner

GWarner Paddler

Sounds like a good idea. I just booked my London to Holyhead train ticket today and will firm up the arrangements at the UK kayaking centre tomorrow. I made it over to paddle around Cape Flattery a week ago. I managed, without intending to do so, to catch the ferry, launch in McCaw Bay and paddle around the Cape to Neah Bay, drag the boat three k's, catch a ride with a fisherman, load the kayak and make the last ferry for Victoria in one day. So we can add that to the places you must paddle. Never seen such large caves, arches and surge channels to play in. Lots of fun. If not for the relentless rain I would have stayed longer. The worst was walking back to the car dragging the boat, my wheels were not up to the task. When the water started to bounce off the pavement as high as my knees I threw the boat in the ditch and took the ride.

13. mikec

mikec Paddler

ah heading to visit nigel & company are you? nice one! i am planning on making the pilgrimage next spring post-symposium to have some fun at the races and perhaps make it to the scottish symposium at the end of may (isle of man next year i believe).

which course(s) are you signing up for at the centre?

mike

14. woodensoul

woodensoul Paddler

Awesome! Well done!

15. ruthk

ruthk Paddler

holy! thats scary lookin'! :shock:

curious, was that some s&r boat that came along at the end? did they have to help?

thanks for the footage! and i was wondering if marc was gonna roll over.. i thought, hmm, thats taking a long time! then out he came! guess it was just much current eh?

16. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Not a SAR boat but actually a tourist boat out to show the occupants the rapids and scenery so I decided they ought to see some kayaking too. They watched me back into the wave, paddle a bit, capsize, nearly complete a successful roll, nearly complete a re-entry and roll, and finally get caught in a whirlpool. They towed me (the skipper holding myfront toggle, me holding the rear toggle) into a "quiet" eddy pool so I could do a (finally successful) scamble back into the boat. DarrenM was kind enough to leave the tow out of the video :oops: Not sure if the tourists realised it but they certainly saw a fair chunk of the whole gamut of kayak self-rescue techniques!

The three of us kayaking agreed afterwards that in view of the speed of the current it would make sense always to have someone waiting below the rapids to catch anyone who has bailed and to help with re-entry. This is quite difficult in turbulent water. T-rescues can't really be done in water that is teeming with whirlpools as both kayaks tend to line up parallel to the radius of the whirlpool that they happen to be within at the time.

Returning yesterday from a few days in Marrakech 8) I flew over the Atlantic coastline of Morocco, the southern and northern coasts of Spain, Brittany, Normandy (northern France) and the British Channel Islands. Clear blue skies throughout so I can say with some confidence that these all look like good kayaking areas :D

17. andreas

andreas Paddler

cool Marrakech :D i love that place, been there 3 times. last time there was a guy on a scooter (going about 80 clicks in the city) slamed into our car but somehow managed to keep riding his bike :lol:
    did you just stay in the city or did you travell around a little bit? i guess it is quite hot there right now--isn't it?

one day i'will go back !

18. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Watching that video clip closely, you'll notice that I attempted to roll up on the right side (my on side) but was quickly forced back under the surface. Basically my body was trying to fight the current on the way back up, so that doesn't work. I then tried a (rather feeble, I'll admit it!) off-side roll but I think I'd entered a pretty turbulent area (that's about the same time as the whirlpool becomes visible). The water gets quite churned up so the paddle blade doesn't have as much to 'grab' as it would in flat water or waves. I equate it to being a bit like trying to roll up in whip cream - there's too much air and not enough substance to get a good push against. At least until you're a bit more used to those conditions.

I was wearing a wetsuit (farmer john style) and dry top but once I was swimming it was pretty cold! So I made short work of rolling the boat back over (while trying to empty out most of the water - that's why my head ducks below the surface again as I raise the bow of the boat) and getting back in. In that amount of time it was amazing to see how far away I'd drifted with the current!

19. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Hi andreas

I guess we're a bit off topic, but....

Yes, Marrakech is wonderful. My fourth time there. Started visiting with my rather adventurous parents when I was in my teens, in 1973, very few tourists, drove all over Morocco then. Fascinating country then and now.

Temperature was up to 43C when we were there last week for just a few days trying to inculcate a love of the country in my family. It worked!

20. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I just noticed a photo that indicates that Justine Curgenven has a copy of this DVD! Wow - I'll be famous soon! :lol:

[​IMG]