• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 - file size

dut

Paddler
I have the Stylus 6000 camera. It is set to take 10 mp images. All of the files come out around 3 or 4 mp.
Anybody know what's going on?

Thanks for your help.

Barry

I'll make an educated guess that these are jpeg files; they are smaller because of the jpeg compression. If you could take pics as raw files, the file sizes will be larger. The file sizes will also increase if the picture is not easily compressed ... ie the color changes every few pixels.

Are the images coming out at 3-4 megapixels, or 3-4 megabytes (file size)? That is, check the actual image sizes in pixels (should be something like 2800 x 3640 pixels for example). The file sizes will vary based on compression methods and the amount of fine detail in any given photo. If the actual image size really is 3-4 megapixels (so the images would be more in the range of 1750x2275 pixels), check your settings and if everything is set to maximum, have your camera checked out.

dut said:
I have the Stylus 6000 camera. It is set to take 10 mp images. All of the files come out around 3 or 4 mp.
Anybody know what's going on?
I think you might be confusing megapixels (image size) with megabytes (file size). A 10 megapixel image is normally about 3 or 4 megabytes -- sounds about right for what your camera.

Back