• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Online ROC (M) VHF course: last chance for online for who knows how long?

kayakwriter

Administrator
Hi all. So WCP regulars will know I make part of my living by teaching and testing via Jericho Beach Kayak for the Restricted Operator's Certificate (Maritime), the document you're legally required to have in order to operate a marine VHF radio in Canada.

Due to the pandemic, we've been allowed to offer both the course and the test online for the past couple of years. We've just gotten word that will be ending. There will be some form of online course and test sometime again in the future, but we think that may be about a year out. So if you want online and you want it soonish, your best bet would be to sign up for our March 4 course, as it's the last one we have permission to give online for now.

On the plus side, this means we will be scheduling in-person classes and exams again, which will be great for those who find learning and taking tests easier that way. I'll post on WCP when we have those scheduled.

Is it a lifetime license or does it need to be renewed?

In Ham radio, the USA and Canada have a reciprocal license agreement - US hams don't need a special license/permit to operate in Canada, Canadians don't need a a special permit/license to operate in the US (both need their ham radio license of course).

So do US citizens need something special to use their Marine VHF in Canada? I believe is no license needed for Canadians in the US. But I could be wrong. There could be some requirement that people ignore.

Is it a lifetime license or does it need to be renewed?

In Ham radio, the USA and Canada have a reciprocal license agreement - US hams don't need a special license/permit to operate in Canada, Canadians don't need a a special permit/license to operate in the US (both need their ham radio license of course).

So do US citizens need something special to use their Marine VHF in Canada? I believe is no license needed for Canadians in the US. But I could be wrong. There could be some requirement that people ignore.

An ROC (M) is good for life: it doesn't have to be renewed.

Americans coming into Canadian waters don't need to have an ROC (M) unless 1. They will be in Canadian waters for more than 45 consecutive days (which does apply to some Inside Passage paddlers). Or 2. They are in a Canadian boat (which might apply to some folks renting kayaks at their put-in.)

Canadian boaters going to the US do not require any special operator's certificate, but they do have to get a Radio Station License from Industry Canada for the equipment they will be using. (Ordinarily, for most recreational boaters, there's no requirement for a Station License for your radio unless you're going into the sovereign waters of another country such as the USA.)

Hi all. So WCP regulars will know I make part of my living by teaching and testing via Jericho Beach Kayak for the Restricted Operator's Certificate (Maritime), the document you're legally required to have in order to operate a marine VHF radio in Canada.

Due to the pandemic, we've been allowed to offer both the course and the test online for the past couple of years. We've just gotten word that will be ending. There will be some form of online course and test sometime again in the future, but we think that may be about a year out. So if you want online and you want it soonish, your best bet would be to sign up for our March 4 course, as it's the last one we have permission to give online for now.

On the plus side, this means we will be scheduling in-person classes and exams again, which will be great for those who find learning and taking tests easier that way. I'll post on WCP when we have those scheduled.
Do you have any date for in person courses yet. And is the cost the same.

Do you have any date for in person courses yet. And is the cost the same.
As I mentioned upthread, I'll post the dates once we have them set for the in-person courses (which we should have set in the next few days). Costs should be the same or similar.

Hi all,

So as promised, updates on the ROC (M) (Marine VHF) courses I teach:

It turns out that CPS requires that the ROC (M) exam be done in-person, but is OK with the instruction being done online.

1. The price for all courses/exams, whether fully remote, hybrid, or fully in-person, is the same: $179

2. Our March 4 course is the last one we are allowed to offer fully remote, with both the lesson and exam via Zoom. There are still spaces available in this course. Details here: https://jerichobeachkayak.com/lessons/online-vhf-radio-course/

3. After the March 4 course, we will be alternating between fully in-person (both the lesson and the tests at Jericho Sailing Association) and hybrid (lesson online via Zoom, test in-person at Jericho Sailing Association). First fully in-person course starts April 3. First hybrid course starts May 17. Deets here: https://jerichobeachkayak.com/lessons/vhf-radio-course/

Back