Opinions on GoreTex PacLite jacket?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by rider, Oct 31, 2010.

1. rider

rider Paddler

Hey. What I am looking for is an easy on-easy-off jacket for calm weather day paddles/workout paddles when it's chilly out. I want splash-proof(though it would be nice if the thing didn't turn into a water-balloon if i was to roll in it accidentally) and above all,perhaps, it needs to be highly breathable. So, the Kokatat Gore-Tex Paclite came to mind. Any opinions,experiences or alternatives? My main concern is the velcro wrist closures, are they decent or do you end up with water pooling in the sleeve and running down your back when you lift an arm high enough?

2. nootka

nootka Paddler

I've been happy with mine. Wrist closure is good. Mine doesn't have a neck-collar so I wouldn't volunteer to roll in it. It is definitely splash-proof; I've worn it in surf. Mine is cut very roomy; it easily fits over top of my pfd (which is something I wanted). I can't tell you how breathable it is as I'm not a heavy sweater.

3. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

I use this anorak http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=pla

Great for paddling, extremely small for packing, but large enough to wear over pfd. Velcro enclosures at the wrists are still good after a few years (at least four) of use. In rough going I use gloves over the closures, as the long sleeves allow me to do so (and I'm 6'4").

About sweating: I sweat a lot, Goretex or not. I find after even a short paddle that anorak is damp inside. I feel that my dry suit (Kokakat Goretex) is more breathable than the Paclite.

Overall, the anorak is a great product, I think.

4. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

i've had my Paclite about five years now and still loving it. my paddling style puts my hands in the water on every stroke. the wrist closures have worked well enough for me. no elbow puddles. i've been caught out in some pretty messy seas, but i don't go looking for it. i wear it under my PFD, but it's big enough to accept some layering underneath it. beats a garbage bag for in-camp rain gear! right Mick? :lol:
    [​IMG]

5. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

Hey! What happens in camp, stays in camp!

6. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

apparently not.