Orca

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Redcedar, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Redcedar

Redcedar Paddler

Sad to hear that the Orca nicknamed Luna is very likely dead after being cut today by the prop of an "industrial logging " towboat in the vicinity of Bligh Island, Nootka Sound. Much blood was seen by the towboat captain. This was almost bound to happen due to Luna's behaviour around boats.

I've been fortunate enough to go salmon fishing in Nootka Sound a number of times and once by kayak which included going around Bligh Island and checking out Resolution Cove where Captain Cook spent a few weeks working on his ship the Resolution. This was before Luna.

2. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

3. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Poor little guy. As hard as it might be to say it, he didn't really stand much of a chance, getting that close to boats all the time. Just a few days ago I read about a new injury he'd gotten from the propeller of a small boat. He seemed to enjoy 'surfing' in the wake immediately behind boats, so it was probably somewhat inevitable that he'd get more seriously injured eventually. I'll certainly miss reading of all his antics though; he lived in a beautiful place and won't be forgotten any time soon.

4. nootka

nootka Paddler