• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Other kayak forums?

Rrdstarr

Paddler
This one is excellent, but I'd like to read other forums for more information! Anyone have any kayak forums they'd like to share? Not interested in UK or Australia, looking for west coasters!

Thanks, Rick

Since you asked about West Coast - I don't think there are too many, and this one is as good as it can be, in given context.
You may also sign for Paddlewise mail-list at http://www.paddlewise.net/signup.html - you'll be getting non-stop flow questions and answers in your mailbox. It's world-wide, mostly US-CAN-AU, and plenty west-coasters, naturally. Some guys can be snobby - just keep it up to the point and serious questions will fetch serious answers. I've got a lot of useful info on that list with time, though later got tired of reading everyday more than I was interested in, and unsubscribed. Too much info.

almot09 said:
Since you asked about West Coast - I don't think there are too many, and this one is as good as it can be, in given context.
You may also sign for Paddlewise mail-list at http://www.paddlewise.net/signup.html - you'll be getting non-stop flow questions and answers in your mailbox. It's world-wide, mostly US-CAN-AU, and plenty west-coasters, naturally. Some guys can be snobby - just keep it up to the point and serious questions will fetch serious answers. I've got a lot of useful info on that list with time, though later got tired of reading everyday more than I was interested in, and unsubscribed. Too much info.

Thanks but No! I hate trying to follow those "old format" style Bulletin Boards!

Rider, yours a very good recommend!

Not looking for white water or river stuff either, but thanks for looking!

I am a beginner and looking for, Outfitting, loading, technique, etc....

Rrdstarr said:
almot09 said:
You may also sign for Paddlewise mail-list at http://www.paddlewise.net/signup.html - you'll be getting non-stop flow questions and answers in your mailbox.
Thanks but No! I hate trying to follow those "old format" style Bulletin Boards!
Rick, I also feel this group is the best of the best for assisting new folks, passing on hot tips, and for a generally high level of content (versus craprants). You'll get more nuggets here for your Tweet time than any place else I know of.

That said, if you configure your email client (program) appropriately, listservs like Paddlewise can be easy and fun to "watch." Paddlewise is a dinosaur (and I've been a participant on it before there were dinosaurs, when it was incarnated as a Wavelength-sponsoned listserv). Unlike this forum, Paddlewise is not moderated (pretty much). That means you get a few crazies and nerdwipes, but you also get fully alternative points of view, unfiltered and unbrowbeaten by the owners. Chewing through those will build some thought-apparatus in your brain, mulling over what's good advice, and what is bad "wisdom."

And, the best aspect is that there are a couple world-class paddlers who participate -- icons of the game. Unfortunately, it also has a corps of armchair geezers (said while stroking a very gray beard) whose contributions are sometimes fully whack. Partly because of the format, on WCP it is easier to track the very few whackos who contribute, where their inanities are skewered pointedly ... so you have the vetting done for you.

In all, Paddlewise is useful, but a bit harder to track, for sure.

Crawling back into my cave for a little dino-stew, now ...

I hate trying to follow those "old format" style Bulletin Boards!
Paddlewise mail-list< which is not not the same as Bulletin Board, I think. You receive all emails posted by members to the list (original post, then all the answers by anybody who wanted to answer, etc etc). Sometimes after a serious answers there goes "soup" when everybody is trying to outwit everybody else (though this may happen to any topic on any regular-style forum). The biggest drawback of mail-lists like PW is that it can't be searched or sorted into separate themes (like Gear, Technique etc). The fact that it's not moderated, isn't a big problem - some forums are moderated, but they are still full of crap (only that crap is easier to search). Like Dave said, there are some top-class paddlers and kayak-builders out there, and when they feel that a newbie would benefit from their answers, they usually answer.

Here is another good forum on technique (and links to other special forums): http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Technique/indexh.cgi - also some very knowledgeable people there.

Back