Outback Oven

Discussion in 'Meals and Menu Planning' started by Batstar, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Mike_C

Mike_C New Member

I have a 10" and 8" outback oven, the 8" is not the ultralight, it has a pan included.
    Have used the 8" for backpacking trips and baking biscuits and such. We recently started making pizza on the 10" oven, and when I say pizza I mean my wife made the dough from scratch! Mixing ingredients is easily done in a zip lock bag. We store all the ingredients in a bag, then mix/kneed them in the bag, it makes clean up much easier. Making biscuits and adding some rehydrated strawberries with sugar is always a crowd pleaser too.
    It's a convection system, so if it's windy and the stove isn't sheltered you will use a lot of fuel. If it's not windy it really doesn't use too much fuel.

As far as excessive camping gear I also have a GSI Wok.

2. Tsunami

Tsunami Paddler

Re:

200 dead crowsfound near Topeka, KS.

There was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu. They had a Bird Pathologist examine the remains of all the crows, & he confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu, to everyone's relief.

However, he determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, & only 2% were killed by an impact with a car. Kansas then hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine the disproportionate percentages for truck versus car kill.

The Ornithological Behaviorist determined the cause in short order.

When crows eat road kill, they always set-up a look-out Crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.
    His conclusion was that all the lookout crows could say "Cah", but none could say "Truck."

Ps, I tried the link posted marked pepsi can but got a "Not in service" message so I'll try posting what I think it was.
    I could do this.
    http://www.realfarmacy.com/how-to-turn-a-beer-can-into-camping-stove/
    Tsunami.

3. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

Re: Crow experiment

After reading Dave's post I had to comment. Your food is much safer in the Deer Group. As a frequent paddler there I noticed that the crows are more interested in the tide line than a fish carcass splayed out on a log. Twice, on separate occasions, I cleaned a fish on the beach and left the carcass on a log. After a 2-3 hour absence, the crows were turning over the seaweed at the tide line and had ignored the fish. As I observed this, a furry little mink, charged up and dragged away the remains as big as himself.

However, if you are loading on the Bamfield Government Wharf, watch out for the seagulls. They are aggressive and fearless marauders if you turn your back for a minute.

4. Outsider

Outsider Paddler

I have been using the outback oven for as long as I can remember. Together with the dragonfly, there is no better way to make scones, biscuits, bread, cookies, brownies and my most favorite of all, chocolate cake!
    Outsider