Outside Kenai Peninsula campsites

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by dmon707, Apr 4, 2019.

1. dmon707

dmon707 New Member

I'd greatly appreciate information from our Alaska paddlers about any known haul outs or campsites for one tent between Windy Bay and Gore Point. Google Earth always seems to let me down with low res. photos in deep wilderness.

2. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

Ok, firstly I know nothing about the area you are asking about.

Secondly, a lot depends on how discriminatory you are about what you might find. If very forgiving, for those types of situations/sites I have some limited [limited! say 10 - 20 %] success with GE. [I use GE pro].

In your case, I would presume you are looking for protected as you may not be able to predict what's coming and I have found that low estuaries or tombolos often [not always!] have locations that are usable.

Using that criteria and looking at the beginning [ie Windy Bay] of the journey you are interested in, I find some locations [that I/ve called 'Sweater Bay Peninsula, Devil's Bay Nub, Warner Bay Peninsula, and Castle Bay NE] that are both sheltered and look to have low-land situations [ie that might have flat spots] that would be interesting to waypoint along an uncertain journey. So here are those four:

AleutianIs.jpg

so look at those locations more closely and pivot around a lot in 3d in order to get a feel for the lay of the land. I have no idea what's really there, but I would say those are provocative and worth checking out along the way.

SweaterBayPenin.jpg

The other sites have higher res [depends where you are in GE, look at the res change to the left in the jpg] but here is the low res Sweater Bay one. The landing is probably not great, but there is a lot of area on that upland that one might find a tent location on.

3. dmon707

dmon707 New Member

Nice photo. Looks loke GE pro has better resolution out on the Alaska Peninsula, but unfortunately my Windy Bay is on the Kenai Peninsula, The bay itself has great resolution, but just east of that, resolution goes really fuzzy.

The good news is that AOOS has an online helicopter tour of the entire Alaska coast. Its really helping me find potential campsites. https://portal.aoos.org/?ls=efab36a7-eb59-db1b-9889-3b2d0159ea5c#map

4. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

Oh, that is absolutely amazing: look at the satellite map and click on the point of the path and get an aerial photo or watch the whole thing on youtube!!!!! Amazing!

Ak-path.jpg

Can't get much better than that!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  5. dmon707

dmon707 New Member

We have Philip, AK to thank for bringing this feature to our attention. Guaranteed to give us many, many hours of viewing pleasure...

6. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I have used this resource extensively, primarily on the WA shoreline of the Columbia River, and it is really good. The current interface is much improved over older versions. Further, there are two or three different sets of photos, spaced a few years apart, useful for viewing an area for features currently obscured by tall conifers when searching out structures and campsites.