Pacific Paddling Symposium

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pawsplus, Nov 26, 2017.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

I'm considering this symposium during my trip to Van to see my mom. I can't find contact info for anyone on the page. I have some questions and would love to talk with someone associated with the event. Can anyone here help?

http://www.pacificpaddlingsymposium.ca

2. red kite

red kite Paddler

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Paws, if I recall correctly, they do not usually go active on that registration until January or so. Others here have been participants, though.

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Thanks! I tried finding them on FB previously and was unsuccessful for some reason. I sent them a message.

5. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Me, too.
    I went for the first 3 years and enjoyed it a lot. I only stopped going because I felt a bit guilty because so many people missed out on registering - it's popular.
    I don't think the PPS organizers have ever posted much info about the instructors or programme until after registration, so there is a bit of faith required. I was never disappointed, though.

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

I want to know about they types of boats available for rental, since obviously I can't take mine. :) I want to practice in surf, but preferably in a boat as similar to my new one as possible. :)

7. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

If you want surf practice, I wouldn't count on doing it at the PPS. In the 3 years I went, I signed up for a few surf and 'rough water' clinics and the conditions never developed, so the instructors changed the 'topic' and we did something else. It was still worthwhile.

8. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Really? Well, that sucks. I need practice in conditions, since that's not something I can get here. Where can I get that? Obviously I can always go to Tybee, and will be doing that in the Spring when I pick up my boat. But want to make good use of my trip to see my mom as well.

9. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Here you go...something like this?
    I've done that Tofino course a couple of times and it was lots of fun. Non-summer months 'up here' are better for nasty weather and surf!

Astoriadave likes this.
  10. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Paws, even out here, in winter/spring, one is not guarnteed suitable conditions for initial training in surf. Most of the time, where I am, the surf is far too big ... running to 6 feet or so on average. A four foot day would be unusual, and a 2 to 3 foot day extremely rare. Exception: some of the smaller coves can be cherry picked by edging to the more protected side, even on a big day. We do not have much of that, because much of our coastline is miles long sandy beaches, fully exposed to long period, largwr surf.

You might ask the throng about your chances of good surf for training, at one or more of the locations, such as Tofino, convenient to where you will be in BC when you visit.

The other way to go is to develop a relationship with a trusted instructor out of Tybee, and ask him/her to keep tabs on when a decent surf interval is about to occur, and you and Joel can shoot over there on short notice. This is SOP for the boardhead crowd on the Left Coast, and for paddlers out here as well.

11. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Tofino is really not convenient for me when visiting my mom, given transpo issues.

Tybee pretty much always has surf, from the sound of it, because there are at least 3 different areas, the most gnarly being the Triangle. Even on a "bad" surf day, there is surf happening in the Triangle. I guess we'll see what we can accomplish when over there in Feb/March.

And at this point, I don't need big surf LOL. Just something to learn on. Perhaps there will be enough of that at the PPS!