Pacific Paddling Symposium

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pawsplus, Jan 10, 2018.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

So my friend Joel and I are planning to attend this year. :) I know registration opens on Saturday at 9 AM Pacific time. And I know that the symposium typically fills up fast. So intend to be there at 11 AM my time ready to register. But it is not clear from the website how that is done. I don't see an online reg form to fill out or a phone number. I don't want to miss the boat--can someone please give me some info? I emailed them and have not received a response.

Thanks!

2. red kite

red kite Paddler

The website will change that morning. You want to be ready when it does.
    Payment in the past has been with PayPal - get an account and have that information ready ahead of time.

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Well, that's annoying. I just paid down my CC on purpose so I could use it for this purpose. Having paid it, I don't have any money left in checking and will now have to transfer some! They don't just take credit cards??

4. Tangler

Tangler Paddler

Doesn't PayPal just charge your CC?

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

It charges my bank account. I guess it's possible to set it up to charge the CC but I haven't done that. Well, transferred the money. I'll just put it back later when I don't have to make that second CC payment I thought I would be doing this month!

6. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

It depends on how you set up your PayPal account.
    I found it worked a lot better to have my bank account as the first source of money, with the CC as 'backup'.
    At one time I often was transferring $$ from Paypal back into my bank account (from selling stuff).

But some folks don't want to share their bank account info with PayPal.

7. dermot

dermot Paddler

Paypal does not offer any protection if buying across borders, so we use pre-paid CC's for it and only with the funds in there just before needed

one thing tho, the website still has 2017's sched on it, in the past we've been asked to signup for courses.. hard to do when we have no idea what they are going to be 2.5 day ahead of sign-up...

anyone got a clue when the sched will be posted, or do we run with 2017 assumeing no changes?

8. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Oh, I hadn't noticed that. Ugh. I was going to ask for advice on what to sign up for, but if that's not the schedule I guess that's pointless.

9. Tangler

Tangler Paddler

I stand happily corrected. :)
    Good luck with your registration.

10. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I didn't attend PPS in 2017 but in the years before that, we registered (and paid) for PPS and later the schedule of courses was posted- and then there was another 'internet race' to get signed up in the courses one wanted. It was a bit of a 'shot in the dark' to sign up and pay before knowing the instructor and course lineup, but there were always interesting courses available to suit me, when the schedule was finally posted.

11. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

OK--they sent out an email saying that. So I won't worry about it, then. :)

12. stagger

stagger Paddler

AAAAAAARGH, I’m at work those days. :( Enjoy the hell out of it for me, Paws & everyone who’s going.

13. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

14. dermot

dermot Paddler

looks right to me, we've been watching it as well ;-)

at 7.54 am, pst it says 1hr.06min to go....

15. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

It must only work in the Pacific time zone. It's been at 0 here for almost 2 hours. You'd think they would set it up to work everywhere.

16. dermot

dermot Paddler

yea! Eva and i are in!

first time

17. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

I'm IN!!! :)

18. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Good!
    I'm sure you will enjoy it - great location/facilities and a great team of organizers/instructors/volunteers.

19. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

So assuming that the offerings this year will be similar to last year, what should I go for, do you think? I'd like to do as much stuff that I can't do normally as possible. So the more rock gardeny/surfy/rough water stuff. Does that seem like a good plan? I THINK I'm going to TIPS (Traditional Inuit Paddlers of the SE) the week before, to work on rolling w/ Dubside, so I may not do much rolling at PPS-but the rough water rolling class--what about that?

20. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I didn't go to PPS last year, but I did attend for 3 years in all.
    My advice would be to 'not count on' having surf or rough water at PPS.
    Without seeing the instructor list for 2018, it's a bit tough to make recommendations - and, really, in my experience it would be unusual to be in a class that wasn't really good.
    Ginni Callahan is an excellent teacher- I've taken stroke classes (last minute substitute for a scheduled surf class, because of calm conditions) with her, also a fun kayak sailing clinic.
    Dan Henderson was excellent for forward stroke and fitness workout ideas.