packing light (link)

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by DarenN, Jul 18, 2008.

1. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

http://www.backpacking.net/27-pound.html

i found this an interesting read and thought it would be pertinent here.

as kayakers we are normally more concerned with volume than we are with weight. however, i think we can learn something from the ultra-light backpackers that are out there, sharing their wisdom and experience.

Daren.....

2. elmo

elmo Paddler

That's a classic link Daren :D

Thinking like a backpacker rocks! :wink:

daniel

3. bobdobbs

bobdobbs Paddler

4. Julien

Julien Paddler

I'm packing my first overnight trip and I'm trying to find a good compromise between beer/music and essentials. I don't mind eating protein bars for 5 meals straight, but if I'm going to be sitting around a candle-lantern on the beach, I'm gonna need a beer... or two.

5. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

i too like to have my beers on kayak trips. maybe a little nip of vodka too.
    out of curiosity i decided to see how many beer i could fit in the day-hatch of my Chatham17. i got thirty beer cans and two micky bottles to fit. then i decided to figure out the weight of this load. 26.5 pounds. a bit much! :eek: not to mention the cost of said load. about 80 bucks.

anyway, even a dozen beer is not un-doable. just pack them in the kayak wherever they will fit, one at a time. keeping them on the hull, below the waterline, will help keep them cool.

i see no need for music and therefor will not comment on it.

on a backpacking forum we were discussing the question of 'essentials and luxuries' and the concesus was "keep the essentials as small and light as possible if you want room for luxuries."

Daren........

6. elmo

elmo Paddler

Nuts and berries!

I carry lots of pre-portioned zip baggies full of nuts and dried fruit. For a a few days of kayaking they're more than adequate for sustinence, especially if I bring along some pasta or oatmeal. I'll admit it's not exactly gourmet but it sure makes the onerous task of planning (and cooking) meals a simple thing. A pouch of loose tea and some sugar packets from Timmy's finish it all off. Eat a huge meal the night before to tank up, drink lots of water before you launch, plan for pee stops ;)

Seems the easier it is to plan and pack my for my trips, the more likely I am to actually go!

Don't skimp on water :shock: dehydration is a killer. Plan on 4-5 litres per day in multiple small containers.

Almonds are incredibly nutritous BTW :wink:

I've discovered with minimalist packing I can fit almost two weeks of supplies in my low volume Greenland kayak. Water seems to be the issue and I'm always looking at places to re-fill and top up along the way. Not been able to get out yet for the full run and test but I've packed and re-packed the thing trying to squeeze every last inch of space out of it. It can be done!

Clothes are something that have to be limited and chosen carefully. Look for things that are highly compressable, roll up very small, avoid big and bulky. Synthetics and fine wools like Merino are excellent. Plan on wearing the same clothes a few days in a row and suddenly the space magicly appears, downside is that you might smell a bit. Drink a few beer and you won't care :lol:

Enjoy yourself my friend :)
    daniel

7. Lyn

Lyn Paddler