Paddle Motion

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by dut, Dec 10, 2014.

1. dut

dut Paddler

Several of you were interested in the paddle motion or path shown in the Light Painting post for analyzing your own stroke . I thought I would pass this link along on the same subject. This is from David Johnstons's Paddling Headquarters site. The Motionize device shows the stroke path as well as other information.

http://paddlinghq.com/component/k2/item ... live-coach

Barry

2. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Thanks for that link and info.
    The 'Motionize' device and app(s) look interesting.
    Right now it's pretty much 'vapour-ware' - I wonder what the price will be when it's eventually released?
    I'd also be curious about the cheapest Android phone that would work with their (as yet unwritten) Android app, since I don't see a smart phone in my future plans otherwise.

3. Tsunami

Tsunami Paddler

This thing is fantastic imho.
    Approaching middle age and witnessing the tech that has come into the world, all I need is to somehow be wealthy enough to enjoy it....
    Good thing I grew up without it and know how to survive on my own, but That would be one thing I'd like to have. Along with those programmable LED light sticks on my paddle.

Perhaps I should hold my breath and wait to win the lotto, It'll be good practice for kayaking... ;)

Tiger Tsunami.

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

That is really cool. I can see how this would help make someone a very efficient paddler.

It will initially be an iPhone app but an Android version will be out shortly after the iPhone release in mid 2015.

The manufactures website is at http://motionize-inc.com

Here's the video that shows exactly what it does:

[shortyoutube]http://youtu.be/I-XXUddmeuI[/shortyoutube]

http://youtu.be/I-XXUddmeuI

5. Mac50L

Mac50L Paddler

Just a little question - If you look at the video, at the end it gives a readout, he paddled 9.2 miles. The time given is 25:12:36. Is that local time and the sun is shining or time paddling? If 25 hour then dead slow. If 25 minutes it means he did near 20 miles an hour! As we allow 3 knots cruising speed, possibly double that as a top speed i.e. 6 knots which is ~8mph.

Am I missing something, or does it not matter, or....

6. tiagosantos

tiagosantos Paddler

The entire video is a bit of a preview of what they think they can do - as far as I know, the device doesn't exist yet. The details at the end, mileage, time, etc are made up ;)

7. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

Nice Video- not much more!
    Maybe he is looking for venture capital.
    However a simple smart phone app that used the built in accelerometers might be possible.
    A simple readout of Jerk would indicate how efficient your paddle stroke was in real time.
    Jerk is the second derivative of motion. Acceleration is the first derivate of motion.
    In other words, Jerk is a measure of how smooth you accelerate.
    My theorem states: smoother (less Jerk) you paddle the more efficient you paddle. The kayak does not care and can't know what your stroke looks like.
    The Jerk read out might need a speed adjustment to compensate for increasing momentum as your speed increased.
    That's as much math as I know. So I can't take this idea any farther. Are there any math majors reading this who could correct my mistakes and expand the idea?

If you want to see how sensitive your smart phone's accelerometers are down load a Sleep Cycle app.

Roy