Paddling from Bella Bella to Port Hardy

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by dstarer, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Lyn

Lyn Paddler

Oh, yes

We've got great paddling. The Hudson is my backyard and is an amazing river with plenty of history, politics, and fun water. The entire east coast is a day's drive. Nova Scotia is amazing! We paddled part of the Atlantic coast last year for 2 weeks and it was just amazing, though very different than BC.

If you come east let me know, whether I'm here or not.

Lyn

2. chodups

chodups Paddler

Lyn,
    Snapfish isn't letting me in. Something about the password?

3. Lyn

Lyn Paddler

Oh, sorry. The pw is BCtrip (only one)

Hope this works. Lyn

4. GordB

GordB Paddler

Lyn.

Still no-go getting in to view your pics.

As with chodups a passwd err still exists.

5. chodups

chodups Paddler

Lyn,
    I got in. The password is BCtrip. No "s" on the end. Great photos. Was the water always flat? Incredible.
    Interesting reference to "the Golden Spruce". Why am I not surprised that you've read it. What's next? A trip to theQueen Charlottes?

6. Lyn

Lyn Paddler

That's how this trip started, but the more I read the more I realized I'd want more time there. When I'm in between jobs and/or make a move out west I'd like to take a nice long break (6-8 weeks) to paddle and explore the area.

And yeah, inside the water was always flat. On the west coast of Triquet it was fun, and crossing from there to Calvert there was some wind and a small chop. But even the strait back to P. Hardy was like glass. I love when the silver water blends with the sky and there's a sense of floating. We had that a few times (when the sky wasn't blue). We were really lucky.

Lyn

7. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

lyn, loved the slideshow! i just finished reading john kimantas book the wild coast 2 ! all i can think about is another trip to the north/central bc coast, i'm thinking i need to figure how to get 3 weeks just to scratch the surface of that beautiful coast!
    dave

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Is there another volume out? That guy does a nice job.

9. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

dave this volume covers from port hardy to prince rupert and his coverage and description of campsites are right on from my 3 trips to the bella bella region! this volume came out at the beginning of the summer and he is working on the victoria to port hardy inside passage right now. i give his guide books 5*, a must if your planning a trip in these areas.

10. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Cool. I have the volume covering the outside of VI. Gotta have the complete set!

11. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Great pictures Lyn! Islands, beaches and rocks....Great trip!! I wanna go, I wanna go!

12. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Just got a few minutes to see those photos - fantastic stuff, Lyn! I think that trip just moved up a few notches on my list! 8O

13. chodups

chodups Paddler

Lyn,

Does that smelly indoor-outdoor carpeting still grace the floor of the Hotel Triquet? Has the lower "bunk" deteriorated to nothing at all? Has the growth on the inside of the visqueen broken out and now "manage" the hotel? Sounds like you set your tent up where Dave slept.

That glassy water you experienced gives me vertigo. For whatever reason I have trouble coping with conditions that good but I could let myself be sick for days on end. Maybe it would cure me.

Those photos taken above the resort on Calvert make the place look tropical. Could be pictures of VietNam or something. Where did you pick up the trail for that? Did you get there from one of the trails that go through the woods at Wolf Beach?

Jon

14. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I thought the same thing. I wonder what kind of trees those are?

Great pics Lyn! 8)

15. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Lyn, how did you get your boats to BC? Did you drive out here?

16. Lyn

Lyn Paddler

Thanks to all for the kind words about my photos. I'm a dedicated point and shooter (when reminded to point).

Jon, Hotel Triquet looked pretty rough. I tried to find your photos again on pnet to compare but couldn't find them in the archive or current search. No bunk or carpet was visible aside from a lovely green mossy cover. I wasn't tempted to explore inside, though the remains of some kind of fire container was visible. It was standing, just not habitable when a warm, dry tent was available.

We rented our kayaks out there. I learned it wasn't a great idea to go on your most (potentially) challenging paddle with new and previously untested equipment. The Quest cockpit was huge for Dan and he had no knee contact at all, even after days of adjustments. I fared better, but we decided before the ferry ride that the mantra for the trip was to not capsize, even if we had to bite the bullet and call a water taxi if the seas around Cape Caution were acting badly. Not the way we like to travel generally. So.......I'm considering a 3 piece kayak.

Lyn

17. chodups

chodups Paddler

18. ztar

ztar Paddler

I've tried every which way...can you help?

19. chodups

chodups Paddler

Try "BCtrip" for the password.

20. Rod

Rod Paddler

To get to the viewpoint, pick up the trail at the south end of the beach on the west side of the island from Pruth Bay Resort. The viewpoint junction is marked with a very small driftwood sign.
    I believe a lot of the trees are shore pine, which look a bit bonsai-ish.