Paddling in the Kodiak Archipelago, Alaska

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Philip.AK, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Tatlow

Tatlow Paddler

Philip, greetings from the Yukon. I have two words for you about your ongoing posts, with both pictures and videos "MORE PLEASE!". I share them at times with my staff, including this vignette, as "mental health time outs". Thank you for these. :clap: :big_thumb

2. Philip.AK

Philip.AK Paddler

Thanks! I posted this in another thread, but I will plop it in here too in order to keep the Kodiak-related stuff together. It's the info on my solo paddle from Kodiak to Homer via the Barren Islands (250 miles). I took 11 days to finish the trip which went a little slow in the middle while I waited for a good weather window to make the 25-mile crossing from Shuyak to the Barren Islands, and then the additional 25-mile crossing from the Barrens to the Chugach Islands on the south end of the Kenai Peninsula. The trip turned out just stunning, and I have put together a video that I think captures the experience as well as I could have hoped for. I hope you like it too. The animals were out and doing their things, the weather cooperated when I needed it to, and the country is utterly magnificent. Here is a link to my trip video. I definitely encourage you to watch it in HD and full-screen with the sound turned on. :D

Paddling from Kodiak to Homer

Here are some actual screen shots from the video if you are wondering if you really want to watch it or not. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. AM

AM Paddler

Just awesome, as usual! I enjoyed rereading over this thread and seeing the old pictures again, as well as the new ones.

Cheers,
    Andrew

4. thunderseed

thunderseed Paddler

Wow I would love to kayak there one day!

5. thunderseed

thunderseed Paddler

That video is so beautiful, I bet it was much better in person, I'd love to go there. Were those abandoned houses? You got so close to that whale, weren't you worried about it flipping you over! Anyway thanks for sharing the video with us

6. Philip.AK

Philip.AK Paddler

I just got back from a 5-day packrafting and hiking trip I did around Shuyak Island, which is the northerly-most large island in the Kodiak Archipelago. I flew into and out of the old cannery at Port Williams on the south side of Shuyak, which is a mail plane stop. I did a counter clockwise loop around the island and hiked when that was convenient and paddled when that made more sense. I have been to Shuyak Island many times but this was my first time doing it in a packraft, which turned out to be the perfect tool for the job.

Take a peek: Packrafting around Shuyak Island :popcorn:

7. Philip.AK

Philip.AK Paddler

I'm not sure exactly which houses you are referring to. The old cabin in the middle of the video is abandoned and is basically a bat roost now (smells horrible inside and I could only stomach one night there). The houses at the end of the video are very much occupied.

No, I'm not terribly worried about a whale running into me. I guess it could happen, but I don't lose a lot of sleep over it.

Cheers. :D

8. kullaberg

kullaberg New Member

Well done! All of it. Looking forward to more.

Also acquired a packraft earlier this year. After 35 years of land based adventuring, this little pool toy has been a breath of fresh air, revitalizing the old hunting grounds and opening up whole new ones.

In fact I have been so taken by the thing that I outfitted the whole family:

[​IMG]
    image by kullaberg631, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    image by kullaberg631, on Flickr

Good luck and be safe out there!