• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Paddling Saltspring Island Vicinity

Doug_Lloyd

Paddler
I have some friends coming up to Victoria to visit, the couple are retired, paddlers from the San Fran area. They will be staying on Saltspring Island for a few days as well, and want paddling recommendation. I’ve been around Saltspring a few times and didn’t find it overly scenic. I did like the access to Prevost Island. I do remember Wallace and Secretary as relaxing, fun paddling but didn’t launch from Saltspring. I have launched from north Saltspring to Tent Island for an overnighter with band permission to stay. While the couple are competent, tide savvy paddlers, theirs is an easy pace no surprises enterprise. Can anyone recommend paddling spots in the area and pertinent launch sites? I got rid of all my info, etc. Thanks in advance.

For a lot of info both you or they can always check out the BCMTA map. Scenic stuff though maybe check out general google searches for interest.
Maybe check out shellfish openings and buy a license as along the east coastline there's places to stop and just pick oysters up along the way for something else of interest to do. Because of the highish cliffs, there's little overlook for a quiet experience.

SSprg-east.jpg

Last edited:
Prevost, Wallace and/or Secretary would be nice, as you suggested. Portland is another option; launch from Kingfisher, poke around Russell Is. and over to Arbutus is less than 3 nmi. Presumably they're savvy paddlers and how know to check tides and currents, and watch out for ferries during the crossing.

Alternatively, if they have a vehicle (or kayak carts), why not do one of the inter-island ferries? They could catch an early ferry to Pender or Mayne, then a late boat back after a day of paddling (and pub crawls, if they are so inclined). If not for a paddle, there is lots to see as tourists.

Despite what older guide books might say, I don't believe there is a freshwater source on Wallace anymore. They plugged the well because they didn't want to bother with testing it at the required intervals - something like that.

Have them bring a piece of driftwood (or roof shingle) with the name of their boat and date to add to "the Shack". Look for a hanging one by cougarmeat (Mariner) and Calliopal (EddieLine)

Try to schedule it so you can enjoy Saturday Market at Ganges Harbor.

Showers - such as it is - at the public pool on Rainbow Road vary from $2.00 to $6.00 depending on day and time of day.

Camping on SaltSpring: I liked the site (with showers and laundry) at Mowhinna Creek (above Ganges Harbor). Reasonable rates and had a site for tent or hammock.

Last edited:
Back