Paddling to the Tall Ships in Victoria Harbour - June 24

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by tim_in_bc, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

It was nice to see a bunch of paddlers down at the festival and put some faces to some names on the forum!
    I have posted a few shots at: http://www.pbase.com/mhjackson/tallships
    The Russian ship Pallada was BIG!

2. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

That was fun! :D
    must......get.............sleep.....now..........zzzzzzzzzzz

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

[​IMG]

The tall ships were definitely way cool.

It was great meeting up with you Mike -- too bad we were heading in opposite directions. Next time we'll have to plan for a longer paddle together.

Tim, sorry we were a bit late getting to the put-in -- it would have been nice to have met you as well.

Mark, Darren, and I got a few shots of the ships on Friday night but it got dark before we could get pictures of all the ships -- Mark and I returned this morning and took a bunch more photos. If we've got enough good shots from both visits between all of us, we'll put together an album for the site.

And I have to agree with Mike, the Pallada was huge! It would be awesome to see her under full sail.

4. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

I saw Dan and Mark paddling around the Pallada today as I was waiting in line to go aboard the Lynx. I spent the day down there today with my family and it was a good day. the lines were not too long and the ships were neat. The Lynx and the Lady Washington gave good tours.

5. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

From what I could overhear of the on-board goings of some of the ships, the tours sounded very good and informative. I remember one crew member showing different types of cannonballs and cannon ammunition that would have been used during battle - pretty brutal stuff flying all over the place back then!

I had some problems with my camera :( that I'll have to get sorted out, but I think I managed to get a number of good photos as well.

Good to meet you, Mike - we'll have to get out again some time! Lots of fum paddling around the ships this weekend. :D

6. tim_in_bc

tim_in_bc Paddler

It was good to put some faces to the names. I ended up paddling with some club members. We eventually ended up out by the cruise ship where it was quite ruff and I go a bit of a work out. Bye the time we made it back I was beat since I started at 5 PM with another paddler.

I placed the pictures I took of the ships from my kayak and land here

http://www.shutterfreaks.com/gallery/album191

7. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

Nice shots Tim! I especially like the one of the Lady washington firing a shot at you!
    The cannon ball talk was on the Lynx - they did a great job.

8. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Wow - some really good shots there, Tim. It would have been really nice to go out to see the ships under sail, but it just didn't work out with timing this time. :( But it was a great event regardless.