Parking in Tofino?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Astoriadave, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Headed to Clayoquot Sound in September. Wondering what others have done for safe vehicle parking while paddling out of Tofino?

Also, any B and B's recommended for the return refreshing?

2. aklinz

aklinz Paddler

Hello Dave

In Tofino, you can go right down to the base of the government dock. Just behind it there is a small day-use-only picnic area. This area sits at the base of a vertical cliff. Right at the top of the cliff sits a house. The owners of that house have allowed me to park on their property several times in the past while I was in Tofino. They even allowed me to camp in the picnic area with my old Westfalia (they own the picnic area at the base of the cliff). I think I paid them 10 bucks or so for the priveledge.
    That was a few years ago, though. I don't know if they are still there.

Enjoy Tofino! And if you can, get a boat ride out to the Openit Peninsula and try a soak at Hotsprings Cove. You don't want to miss the Hotsprings!

Andrew Klinzmann

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Thanks for the update, Andrew. Tofino has changed quite a bit in recent years. My previous visit before our September visit was in 1997, I think. That site is the "designated" kayak launch spot, and it gets heavy use. We elected to launch from the DFO ramp some 5-6 blocks east of there ... perhaps two short blocks east of a large parking lot which is the only formally designated "long term" parking in Tofino. The DFO ramp is a little easier of vehicle access, but is pretty slimy and there is the usual conflict with power boaters, so we would not use it again.

We would use your spot for launching, but from the signs, I suspect the upland landlord does not tolerate casual parking any more.

In reality, there is no enforcement of any of the various 4-hour, 12-hour, etc., zones in Tofino. We parked one of our rigs in a 4-hour zone, and no one hassled it over a week's time.

And, my concerns about vehicle security were definitely out of proportion: I inadvertently left a front window wide open the week we were out paddling, and came back to an intact pickup with various valuable goodies in full view. None was missing. Only the rain visited!

Great place to launch ... and Clayoquot Sound was a treat. Spent 6 nights on Dick and Jane's Beach, NW corner of Vargas, and did day trips (both paddling and hiking) from there. Got acquainted with the couple who live in Dick's old cabin at the S end of that beach. Very cool. We will definitely go back.

4. andreas

andreas Paddler

hi guys,

just got back from tofino today.
    i was also looking for some long term parking spots for paddlers :? not an easy task let me tell you! i didn't find any..... maybe by asking at the hotel/b&b/campground ,you would stay before /after the trip , could lead to a parking spot.

we stayed at the middle beach lodge ( www.middlebeach.com ) for two days---it was great!!!!!! it is not cheap 8O but the rooms, service and the food are top class!!!

andreas

5. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

Nice Digs Andreas! 8O We stayed at the Reefpoint Cottages in Uki during our paddling trip this month and found them to be clean and quiet. We took advantage of their off season rates. Stay five nights for the price of three. :)

As far as parking goes, I was told that there is a gravel lot on the corner of 3rd and Main streets that many kayakers use during extended paddling trips. I wonder if this is the one that Dave refers to. Apparently, there is another lot two blocks up 1st street (past the hospital) which would make the walk back to the kayak ramp a bit more convenient. Off street parking is not enforced but the 4-12 hour signs are simply posted there a simple courtesy reminder.

Map of Down Town Tofino

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Yup. We used the 3rd and Main lot, because we launched from the DFO ramp, but from what I saw, the signs for on-street parking are universally ignored.

The lot at 3rd and Main is over-subscribed, and there was only one slot when we needed two, so the other guy parked in a 4-hour zone. A week later, no ticket, no problem.

Got to be a pain for residents of Tofino, the parking problem. I'd pay a reasonable fee for week-long parking, if there was some.