Partners for Dynamic Waters

Discussion in 'Paddling Partners' started by SheilaP, Feb 14, 2012.

1. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

So my theme of the year has been moving water. I am looking for surfing and bumpy water buddies. I am an intermediate paddler in these conditions. I succeed with a lot of my rolls, but tend to fail when I get tired, especially in surf. I have an awesome self rescue too though. Be great to find someone who is about my level and wants to work on their skills with me. :clap: :clap:

That said, I am not looking for someone to come along and rescue me all the time or take care of me - it is about increasing my safety margin and not going out there alone. On the other hand, I am willing to rescue others when it is safe to do so, and if the sh*t hits the fan would like to know you are there for me too. :shock:

I live in Victoria and love paddling at Jordan River, Baynes Channel, Port Renfrew, and Tofino sometimes too (gotta love those Groupons for accomodation). I have been able to get up to Surge Narrows (Discovery Lodge) a few times a year too. Carpooling may be an option for Vancouver friends. :big_thumb

2. Alana

Alana Wave Seeker

Hi Sheila, I'll PM my contact info to you. I live in Vancouver but I try to head to Tofino and Skooks when I can :)

3. WaterMark

WaterMark Paddler

I want to get more experience in dynamic water also. To that end I started doing some WW kayaking last year. I have a roll (somedays more reliable than others). I'm in Vancouver, but I'd be open to making a trip for playing :D

4. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Cool! I work on Mondays and Tuesdays (out of the home) and am fairly felxible other than that. Be good to work on skills and have a blast with others.

5. rider

rider Paddler

Looks like there's a loosely organized VKC trip to Tofino for the 25th-26th and few other sea/surf kayakers coming as well.

6. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Awesome. I will be out there. I am doing a surf course with SKILS because I really want to bring my skills up. :big_thumb I have a room with two bunk beds booked if anyone is looking for a place to stay. Surf's Inn in Uclelet. Got it with a Groupon so I paid next to nothing.

Dunno if someone wants to walk on the ferry either. I could be in Nananimo whenever (or Shwartz bay).

Thanks for letting me know Rider.

7. rider

rider Paddler

Sheila, is that the course that tends to fill up Wickanninish beach with sea kayaks with duct taped rudders?

8. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

LMAO nope do not think so. That might have been the kayak guides exchange. Oct 15, 2011? There was a lot of kayak guides out playing that weekend and the groups were very large indeed. They were not instructed by any local company though; they were peer led sessions.

The class is am doing has small ratios student/instructor. Don't even think the class is that big. :big_thumb

9. AM

AM Paddler

Rider, that's the SKABC surf course you saw.

10. kayakingkarebear

kayakingkarebear Paddler

Hi Sheila!
    You may or may not remember me from the SISKA campout last June. Anyways, I'm looking to stretch my comfort zone in a safe setting as well. I'm living in Vancouver now, but I'm back on the island some weekends. Let me know if you'd like to set up a time when we can get out and practice.

11. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Sheila,
    where the heck is Baynes Channel anyway? Not that I could go... jammed up with moving into new house in 2 weeks, may even interfere with WCP Spring Fling!! I hope not.
    And myabe YOU can babysit me while I flop around like a dead fish in rough seas :lol: :lol:
    I do have the "half roll" down pat :wink:
    'nak

12. red kite

red kite Paddler

Hope this helps...
    All the best for a smooth move. :big_thumb

Attached Files:

13. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Aha! Not far from home... I have always wanted to get over to the Discovery Island site for an overniter. I also heard, it can be a bit dicey doing that crossing. So it also doubles as a play area for the suicidal? :shock: :lol: I assume you have to wait for that right tide, wind scenario, the one I want to AVOID!! :yikes:
    Thanks... actually one day... I need better skills first.

14. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Same back at you! If you are coming over let me know. I am flexible with days/times. :mrgreen: