Peel's Coho build

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Astoriadave, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Peel

Peel Paddler

Well, I didn't have time for a real paddle, but I did take Luna down to the lake for a short introduction to the water. I went down a couple weeks ago to scope out likely launch sites, and found one at Day Street park (at the I-90 floating bridge), that had a nice 100' long sand beach. But when I went there now, the lake level is about a foot higher than it was, and the beach is all gone 8O. Must be the high spring run-off this year.

Luna sitting on the grass before heading out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting in
    [​IMG]

In my excitement to get going I forgot to fasten my skirt :oops:
    [​IMG]

I love how swiftly the Coho accelerates, and the overall ease of paddling. Tracking is exceptional - now I just need to work on those leaned turns :lol:

I absolutely love that I can carry it back to my car and put it on the roof rack all by myself
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Daveman

Daveman Paddler

Watch that first step Peel! :D
    She's beautiful and I love the color!
    Thanks for taking the time to share with us your build. I have learned a lot from your experiences.

Daveman

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Looks really great Pete!

btw: my daughter was just looking at the pictures and asked me if everyone who builds a Coho has a bald spot on the top of their head. 8O

I told her that the best build Cohos are built by fellows who are a bit hair challenged. :wink:

4. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Wow - that's a very good looking boat, Pete. Nice work! I really like the look of that faux inlay too - I'm really looking forward to seeing that boat 'in person' some time!

I agree about the loading - for me, that alone is worth the time and money spent to build the boat! I have no problem carrying the Tern 14 a couple of hundred metres (yards) down to a beach etc. - something I'd never even consider with the 75 lb Romany.

5. Peel

Peel Paddler

8O

:cry:

6. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

:lol:

:wink:

Me too, but I grow extra on my face to make up for it :?

7. Miklos

Miklos Paddler

Don't worry, I have NO hair, so I had to build the Tern. :lol:

Congratulations on the beautiful new boat!

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I think it's boat builders in general. Must be the epoxy ... :wink:

9. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

harrumph!!
    i have no idea what you guys are talking about. i'm just about to start my 8th or maybe it's 9th boat. my memory might be shot but i have all my hair and a full beard too. so nyah nyah!! :D

10. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

As a bald man going on twelve years Daren, I would advise against angering the male-pattern-baldness gods. Judging by your photograph you have little to worry about, but they are a fickle, unreasonable lot.

11. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

what a great sequence of pics, pete. looks like another fine one will be hitting the water

12. Peel

Peel Paddler

Thanks Mick,

It's been a real pleasure to build, and share the experience with everyone on this site. In fact, without this site, I know for a fact that I'd still be building, or more likely waiting yet to start. It sure has been a confidence builder to get feedback from all of you along the way.

13. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

It's been great following the progress of your build, Pete. I look forward to one day seeing (you and) your boat in person.

14. Peel

Peel Paddler

Well I finally took Luna for a couple hour paddle the other day after work, through the UW Arboreteum. She handles great! But I did note that I need to do some customization/fitting work to improve the comfort level. The first thing to tackle is getting the seat back adjusted properly. Maybe installing an adjustable line on a V cleat like Pygmy sells as an accessory. Has anyone installed one of these? If so what's your verdict?

I'm also in need of some hip and thigh braces, so that I don't slide side-to-side, so will have to get some foam and experiment a little on what makes for a comfortable fit.

15. Miklos

Miklos Paddler

I have the Pygmy seat back adjuster and I did find it to be $7.50(us) well spent. :wink:

One thing I did wind up doing was moving the whole seat back down at least 3" (remember I have a Tern-Hi) from where the instructions said to place it. Don't hesitate to experment.

But if you think you may change to a Redfish style seat and back at a later date, don't bother with the Pygmy cleat now, it will just leave you with more holes in your deck.