• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Percy Priest Lake, 9-11-16, but the real news is my . . .

pawsplus

Paddler
. . . GREENLAND PADDLE!

I got it in late June, finally, after months of waiting for it. By then it was too hot for me, so I still hasn't used it prior to Sunday. I did attend a largely useless safety class, but didn't use the GP b/c I didn't want to damage it. And I paddled in OR and BC with borrowed/rented equipment.

But on Sunday it finally cooled off a little here and I took the boat out. I LOVE THE PADDLE!!! I had only used one once, more than a year ago at a Paddlefest event here, but I knew right off that I liked them. This one was made to my measurements and specs by Lumpy Paddles in NC (http://www.lumpypaddles.com/). It's so lightweight and just feels good in my hands. It took a little getting used to a different stroke, and then I was cooking. And the good news is that now I have a complete spare paddle on my boat, instead of the half-a-paddle I've had up to now. ;-)

I was only out for about 3 hours, as I got a late (for me) start and the sun was warmer than I liked, but it was a nice paddle on a pretty day. Very little wind, which made it a bit dull. I stopped for lunch at what appeared to be some kind of private summer camp. Decided to ignore the sign because the Army Corps had really raised the water level, basically eliminating all the usual landing beaches, and this was the only place I could find! I figured that since it's Sept. there would be no one around to object, and I was right. :)

Re: Percy Priest Lake, 9-11-16, but the real news is my . .

PawsPlus - nice looking boat an paddle. I used to think the greenland paddle was just a "stick" and couldn't propel a kayak as fast and a standard (i.e. European) blade. But one woman who uses a greenland style and paddles with the Washington Kayak Club (Lisa, I believe) is always ahead of the pack. I used one in a greenland class session and it was so much easier on my joints.

Is it my imagination or was there one of those motion activated "critter cams" by the No Trespassing sign? Maybe the property owner wants to see who lands there.

I'm glad you got your Vancouver trip in and met/made NW friends along the way.

designer, I think your imagination is better than mine. That device next to the sign looks like a weatherproof electrical outlet/switchbox. It has unobtrusive Romex 120 V threewire cable going in and coming out of its top. Could be a fake, also, I suppose, as a feint to fend off trespassers. Hey! That could be a trade name: PhakePheintPhenderOffer ... or somesuch.

Ummm, yeah, designer, I guess it probably is a game cam. Looked at a bunch of images of game cams, and could not spot an exact lookalike, but plenty were close. Elizabeth, you are on candid camera!

Yeahbut - that wire/cable coming down to the top of the unit makes when lean towards "outlet" though the power source could be a mystery (electrical generator?) - wait a minute, did we just change sides on our guesses :)

Paws, did you see the box? What do you think it was?

Also, just curious - do you have your name or some ID engraved on your Greenland Paddle?

I did not notice the box, but you're right! At least he couldn't see my license plate LOL! All I did was sit there and eat my lunch, so hopefully the owners won't freak out too much. :)

I don't have my name on it. That wasn't offered by the maker and I'm not going to ruin it by trying to do it myself!! I've never seen another around here. I know one person who has one, but she's really short so we probably wouldn't get ours mixed up if we paddled together.

Back