• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

pfd

cyclegranny

Paddler
Wondering if anyone out there uses the sospender (mustang) type pfd's with the auto inflate function turned off. You can inflate manually. I know this doesn't help if you are unconscious for any reason. Just wondering if this is an option people use.

I didn't know you could disable the auto-inflate.
I used the auto-inflate version with the harness on my sailboat in very wet (but not underwater) conditions and it didn't auto-inflate accidentally.

The main problems I have with those inflatable PFDs is that there aren't enough pockets for all 'my stuff' and I think it could be awkward getting back into the boat wearing the inflated PFD. Definitely worth checking at the beach or pool, IMO.

Be cautious; a problem that I have witnessed/heard of with manually-inflated PFDs is that when needed in extremis they sometimes aren't manually inflated!

This happens because the owners haven't trained to do so, and then when they have an 'out of boat experience' they suffer task overload.

I witnessed this at a symposium in Ireland when a very experienced paddler had a swim in big surf. I got out the back and when he and some others didn't I returned to discover he had washed over very sharp rocks during a long swim home. It was only when his wounds were being dressed that we realised he hadn't thought to inflate his PFD.

Several years ago in NZ a paddler came out of her boat and spent a long time in the water on her own - her companion didn't notice and paddled off, another story - and was being flushed offshore by strong tides when observers rescued her. She was struggling to stay afloat and again, hadn't inflated her PFD. I interviewed them and an did an incident report on the event; it was very sobering, both paddlers knew how close she was to dying.

I really think that if you choose to wear an inflatable PFD that you should make a point of really doing so as part of your rescue training. Even visualising it or vocalising doing so could be a life saver.

The main problems I have with those inflatable PFDs is that there aren't enough pockets for all 'my stuff' and I think it could be awkward getting back into the boat wearing the inflated PFD.

What about this, John?

So I'm a newbie and haven't realized that the vest is very much about the pockets for gear. I am a sailor and have the sospender type of lifejacket and wondering if I have to buy a kayaking specific pfd, which to a newbie seems very bulky. Seems like the answer is yes.

Be cautious; a problem that I have witnessed/heard of with manually-inflated PFDs is that when needed in extremis they sometimes aren't manually inflated!
This happens because the owners haven't trained to do so, and then when they have an 'out of boat experience' they suffer task overload.

I really think that if you choose to wear an inflatable PFD that you should make a point of really doing so as part of your rescue training. Even visualising it or vocalising doing so could be a life saver.
Excellent points!

EDITED to correct mis-information (Thanks, KayakJim!):
With the 'SOSpenders' harness I have, the air bladders are protected by fabric panels which are kept 'closed' with Velcro. The auto inflate canister has enough pressure to blow open the covers. To manually inflate, you'd need to 'rip open' those covers by hand, put the tube in your mouth (after opening the twist valve? I forget) and inflate.
Most of us use our hands to stay afloat- it's hard to get enough leg action especially when wearing paddling shoes and perhaps baggy drysuit legs.
So that may be a factor. In really rough conditions or surf, it would be tricky to open the vest, and inflate the bladders by mouth....the swimmer may be busy grabbing breaths when the head is not underwater.

Last edited:
So I'm a newbie and haven't realized that the vest is very much about the pockets for gear. I am a sailor and have the sospender type of lifejacket and wondering if I have to buy a kayaking specific pfd, which to a newbie seems very bulky. Seems like the answer is yes.
PFDs do vary in fit, so try on several to get one that feels right and allows good arm movement without chafing.
A foam PFD is also a nice warm vest on cooler days. Not so nice when it is hot, but usually you can grab the bow of another kayak and 'take a dip' (or roll your kayak) to cool off.

What about this, John?

I hadn't seen that pfd. You are right - pockets galore!
Too long for sea kayaking, probably but just the thing if you are fishing along the edge of a river, or from a sit-on-top kayak.

To manually inflate, you'd need to 'rip open' those covers by hand, put the tube in your mouth (after opening the twist valve? I forget) and inflate.

Pretty sure the "manual inflate" is pulling the toggle which triggers the same inflation cartridge. Just not activated by water contact/ immersion.

I initially thought these lifejackets were great as they were such low profile, but after seeing one inflated and how large of a frontal 'blob' they resulted in - I think that they actually might be quite a hindrance to climbing back in. [I don't know about the 'fisherman' referenced above, tho']
If there was a prior choice, I think a traditional one might be a worth considering in comparison.

Back