Photo Horizon

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by Tootsall, May 22, 2009.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

One of the things that I notice particularly about photos taken on or of the water is that the really good ones always have a perfectly "horizontal" horizon. Personally I find it difficult to take a picture from a boat or canoe because of the rocking of the boat: it's more of a "point and stab" kind of approach as to when to release the shutter.

Is there a trick that you use or do you just use software to tweak them once you've got them back to your computer?

(Dan's are particularly good in this regard but so are many others)

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

There are very few photos I take from a boat or anywhere else that I don't have to do a little bit of minor editing to, just to tweak some white balance or contrast settings etc. Adjusting to get horizons straight and crop some of the edges etc. is all part of being a photographer - the job is not done when your finger leaves the shutter button! So yes, virtually every photo has a bit of editing done to it, even if it's just resizing to fit image size and file size constraints.

3. blondie

blondie Paddler

I use Picassa for photo editing. It is a free Google product that is easy to use and very user friendly. You can do all the basic corrections like straightening, contrast, cropping, red eye, etc. It is a good product just for viewing your photos on your computer and does have capability for online albums and more.

http://picasa.google.com/

To tell you the truth, I certainly don't worry about having horizons straight. Sometimes the off kilter photos look really cool anyway. I like some of the shots Mark gets off his deck mounted camera: you can really see how much edging he does!

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

That seems like pretty nice software, blondie. Certainly the straightening routine is much easier than anything else that I've run across so far. Thanks for the tip.

5. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Quite a lot of the time I can get a horizon pretty level -- if I'm consciencous of it (which I usually am). When I don't get it correct, I generally fix it in Photoshop (along with other post processing) -- it usually doesn't require more than a few degrees to correct.

Sometimes however, it's fun to purposefully tilt the horizon like in this shot:

[​IMG]

6. blondie

blondie Paddler

You're most welcome.