• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Pick up or ship UPS?

brewmeister

I live in North Vancouver and am planning to start work on a Coho this fall. I'm wondering whether it is more cost effective to drive down to Port Townsend and pick it up or have it shipped UPS. Since I have to pay PST and GST either way the only difference will be Washington State tax versus UPS + brokerage. Any info greatly appreciated!

brewmeister said:
I live in North Vancouver and am planning to start work on a Coho this fall. I'm wondering whether it is more cost effective to drive down to Port Townsend and pick it up or have it shipped UPS. Since I have to pay PST and GST either way the only difference will be Washington State tax versus UPS + brokerage. Any info greatly appreciated!

UPS brokerage fees are ridiculous; Wash. state tax will be a lot less than UPS + brokerage fees. However, if you factor in the time and expense of getting to Port Townsend from North Van it might actually be more expensive to pick it up yourself. You can opt to do the customs work yourself and not have to pay the UPS brokerage fee but then again you have to factor in the cost of your own time.

That's what I thought. It's a nice drive but it's a full day (+$$) by the time the SO stops for some shopping at Bellis Fair.

How do I set about doing my own customs work? Would I still use UPS for the shipping?

brewmeister, are you in Victoria? It might work out you could find someone BC bound who could take it across for you, and pay any duty right at the border. Lots of US sea kayakers do the PA-Vic ferry, not so many right now. I just did that shuffle, and it would have been easy to toss a Pygmy package atop my truck.

Mind, this is said in total ignorance of any aspect of the customs process. They ask, every time, if I am taking anything of value into BC, which I expect to give away or leave there for someone else.

Others, who shall remain nameless, have bought gear in the US and simply "included" it in their kit at crossing, without a declaration. I would not advise that.

No I'm in the lower mainland but I must admit I had considered the PA/Vic crossing. Our daughter lives in Victoria and she tells me the CBSA is low key compared to the I-5 crossing. I shouldn't really complain as the $ exchange is pretty sweet compared to the last time I thinking of buying a Coho :D. Think I'll just bite the UPS bullet.

brewmeister said:
No I'm in the lower mainland but I must admit I had considered the PA/Vic crossing. Our daughter lives in Victoria and she tells me the CBSA is low key compared to the I-5 crossing. I shouldn't really complain as the $ exchange is pretty sweet compared to the last time I thinking of buying a Coho :D. Think I'll just bite the UPS bullet.

Here is a thought... ship it to yourself care of the UPS place in Pt Roberts.. That way you save the nasty brokerage charges. It's a short drive down... get it there and finish up with customs on the way back.

GordB said:
Here is a thought... ship it to yourself care of the UPS place in Pt Roberts.. That way you save the nasty brokerage charges. It's a short drive down... get it there and finish up with customs on the way back.
That is a good suggestion.

The irony here is that the package will most likely arrive in Point Roberts after being shipped through Canada.

Aside from the concerns about fees and customs etc I would suggest going to Port Townsend just because it is so nice there. It would be a great weekend getaway for you. They have some great places to eat and some other fun things to do.

Keep in mind that Pygmy has their boats built and ready to paddle at their shop. They are very helpfull and I thought seeing their place and spending part of the day in Port Townsand was worth the trip (from Seattle).

You can do the customs clearance yourself. Once you get the tracking number from Pygmy, you call UPS and tell them that you will do the clearance. It will arrive at the airport UPS station, on the way to Iona beach. You go there to get the customs papers. You then take that, along with an original proof of sale/receipt to Canada Customs which is about 3 minute drive. There you pay the duties/taxes and then return to UPS to pick up the package. The whole thing will probably take 45min.

I ended up darned glad I made the pilgrimage to Port Townsend from down by the "other" Vancouver. I had my mind set on a Coho, and almost ordered it, but decided to make the four hour drive instead. Turned out a good move. I tried to fit in the Coho, but I was just too dang big-n-tall. I found tons of room in the Tern-Hi and bought that kit.

2 more tips. First, customs will want to see the invoice and some type of visa charge receipt (visa receipt or statement). The customs guy I ended up was a pit of a prick (a nice prick, but a prick nonetheless) and made me show proof that I paid what was on the invoice. Secondly, if it matters: the cost you save in shipping is almost the same cost you'll pay in taxes if you buy the kit in WA. If Pygmy sells the kit at their store they have to charge state tax. If you order over the phone, you won't pay state tax. The tax and shipping are about the same, somewhere's around $60 if I recall.

This is a pretty active forum! I'd like to thank everyone for their contribution. Doug thanks for clearing up the UPS brokerage deal. Not really much difference costwise. Since my daughter now wants to try one out for herself looks like I'm going to be going back to Port Townsend. I think I can handle it. Maybe try out a double this time.....

Back