• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Pirogue

jbj_bc_ca

Paddler
Hi all,

I wanted to record here for eternal posterity details of a wooden boat I've just built and launched. It's called a pirogue or piragua and is a plywood version of the traditional dugout canoe found in swamps, bayous and other calm tropical waters. It's based on a plan from a book called "Boatbuilding for Beginners" by Jim Michalak (Halcottsville, NY : Breakaway Books, 2002).

Scroll down for specs and pics.

No, it's not as fine a craft as a Pygmy kayak, but it was built in about 30 hours for about $150 and paddles just fine with an adult and child on the calm waters of Boundary Bay, which was the intention. I'm using it to introduce my 7 year old daughter to the pleasures of kayaking. Previously she had me towing her around in a rubber dinghy, but this is more fun for both of us. We spent two hours this past Sunday paddling back and forth across the US-Canada border at Pt Roberts.

Specs

Length: 13'5"
Beam: about 26" at the waterline
Height: 11" from bottom to gunwale
Weight: 55-60 lbs
Interior: 91" long - plenty of room for 2 passengers

With 2 passengers totalling ~270lbs, had about 5" freeboard.
2 sealed compartments fore and aft for flotation if swamped.
Flat bottom with slight rocker and narrow keelstrip; no skeg.

Materials

Two 1/4" fir plywood sheets for hull pieces
a bunch of 8' 1x2" pine sticks for reinforcement
1 bottle Titebond III wood glue
3 small tubes of PL Premium polyurethane construction adhesive to seal all the joints
lots of deck screws
2 litres red latex paint

Built with hand tools and an electric jigsaw, drill and belt sander

Effort: about 30 hours from purchasing materials to launch

Cost: ~$150

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

p7.jpg

p8.jpg

p9.jpg

Good post . Looks like a useful boat . Nothng as satisfying as building your own boat. :D

Yeah, it looks cool and your daughter seems to be having a good time paddling, which is what it's all about! Great idea to build the boat!

I like the colour too! 8)

Back