• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Pitt lake widgeon creek dock

eggabeewa

Paddler
Just fyi. For anyone familiar with the Pitt lake boat launch area you will know about the political wrangling going on over the last year or so. But for anyone interested in using the dock here is a bit of info based on my experience taking a few kids to Widgeon falls last weekend. The parking and dock currently appear to be free and a "free for all". The dock is posted closed, but i think for liability reasons, and still in very rough shape. Many people were using it. The gate appears to be locked at night. There is a garbage dumpster but no toilets. The old rental shop is closed but there was a guy there renting kayaks, apparently with permision as he was giving out his phone number. I have is card if anyone wants the number.

I went up Widgeon Creek twice in the last couple of months. At high tide its better to launch off the "beach" beside that dock. But the second time I went the water was lower and I used the "closed" dock which had lots of people using it regardless. While its not being maintained very well its still usable as I launched 2 kayaks off of it and lots of boaters were hauling coolers back and forth on it.

The crowds though can be crazy. Parking was up to 1 km down the road on a busy day and 500 meters down the road on a not so busy day. Fortunately with kayaks you can avoid the boat launch line but you may need to scoot down the wrong side of the road to get to the launch area. With all the SUP's, kayaks, and other miscellaneous craft heading for Widgeon its a wonder that there arent a lot of accidents crossing the Pitt River with all the powerboat traffic going up and down the river. Some are respectful and slow down but others do not. No worries for myself but so many out there with no life jackets on SUP's mixing with boat traffic is not good.

Back