Planning for the 2009 WCP Spring Campout

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by DarrenM, Feb 4, 2009.

?

Which April weekend works best for you?

1. April 4-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. April 11-12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. April 18-19

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. April 25-26

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Maddie

Maddie Paddler

One more week to go...

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Not to derail this thread, but here's a link to a video I shot this morning with a cheap 1.2MP camera on my 2 metre glider. Gives you a taste of what I should be able to record when we have a bunch of paddlers in Bedwell Harbour! 8)

<object width="576" height="432"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/76410975809"><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/76410975809" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="576" height="432"></embed></object>

3. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

damn, that's cool!! :D

4. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

8) :D 8) :D 8) :D Cool! Damn there are some clever folks out there! Way to go Mark.

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Way, way, way cool, Mark! I'm impressed by the technology to the nth! Folding prop? Li ion power?

6. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Thanks guys. This is junk compared to some of the stuff out there, really! First-person view is now pretty cheap - goggles with little LCD screens hooked up to gyros in your head gear, that turn a camera in the plane as you fly - it's like sitting in the cockpit. But yes, folding prop on the glider, and it's actually lipthium polymer (Lipo) power - a little lighter, higher discharge rates and a little more energy density than Li-ion.

Gotta go - heading out for a paddle at Race Rocks right after going flying! 8)

7. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

That was amazingly cool Mark. It's just like you are there in the plane. And to top it off with a loop and a roll! I'm impressed.

8. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

Also Mark, I almost forgot: Based on last years weather and this years forecast, don't forget the de-icer before takeoff. You wouldn't want that crashing into Maddie's new kayak on takeof!

9. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Yeah, yah know it's bad enough as a paddler having to dodge boats and jet skis. Kamikaze attacks, even scaled down to kayak size, just wouldn't be fun.... :lol:

10. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

Well, it looks as if next weekend is getting busy for me... now it looks as if I am going to try to head out from Sidney on Friday evening, spend the night, and then head back to Victoria early to catch the ebb tide on Saturday as I have to be back home Sat PM/eve!
    Anyone else heading out Friday afternoon/evening? If conditions are "decent" I plan to leave Amherst around 5 and be in Bedwell by 8 PM...

11. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Assuming my cold cures to the point I can come, I'll be taking the 10:10AM ferry from the mainland to North Pender on Friday, and arriving at Beaumont Marine Park Friday evening too. My bud Mike (the other Mike) should be with me.

12. andreas

andreas Paddler

Guys look at the forecast! It's going to be sunny and warm :D

I'm almost done packing... looks like I'm moving :lol:

13. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Hope you still have some room in the car Andreas! Ailerons are done, wing's completely finished; motor and servos are in, receiver is in. Working on tail-feathers now, then elevator and rudder control rods. Then it's just a case of figuring out a camera mount (the camera bay is already cut) and hopefully getting a couple of test flights in!

Just my luck - went for a paddle yesterday (and I have the sunburn to prove it! :oops: ) and the neck gasket on my drytop finally split right down the length of it. It was getting old but I was hoping it would hold out a little longer... Oh well, no rolling for me!

14. Johan

Johan Paddler

Intro and question

First post and sign-up in one!<br><br>I recently immigrated from the Netherlands to BC, and would love to meet some new paddling partners and come out to Beaumont for the weekend. Really enjoy the WCP website and the wealth of knowledge on your forum.<br><br>As I understand, Speedo's and Lederhosen are NOT DONE this year, and remotely operated aeroplanes are the next BIG thing :D<br>Anyhow, two questions:
    • 1. What night is the Potluch, what should I bring (appy/main/dessert?) and for how many people?<br>2. Is there anybody else camping on Portland Thursday and crossing to Pender on Friday?
    Johan

15. andreas

andreas Paddler

Re: Intro and question

Hi Johan,

Welcome to WCP! I'm pretty sure that nobody would have anything against it if you are joining us on Pender.
    As for the potluck: It looks like we are expecting around 40 people, my guess is, that not everyone will take part in that--that is fine, it happened in the past. Anyhow, anything you would work--maybe some wine, maybe a loaf of bread--just anything.
    I was dehydrating a pretty tasty Chili the last couple of days, I hope it will be enough...

I'm looking forward to meet you!
    Btw, watch out for the crazy German and the old Polish dude :lol:

16. andreas

andreas Paddler

That space is still yours, as long as it's ready for pick up either Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

I will be taken the 2.15pm ferry on Thursday.

17. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Im making enough food for 20 or so. In fact im on my way to the grocery store right now :)

I cant remember if there is water at the campsite...Im thinking not. Anyone know?

18. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Darren, no water is available in the marine park, but you can buy bottled water in the Port Browning store - about 3 miles of paddling and 5 minutes of walking distance from the marina. Also, Poet's Cove will sell you bottled water from their small store, but the price is prohibitively expensive. They want you to drink their beer, I guess.

19. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Thanks Greg,

20. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Coolio. I'll be getting the 10:30am ferry to Port Angeles WA on Thursday so I'll have to drop it off on my way downtown (if it's done!).