Planning for the 2009 WCP Spring Campout

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by DarrenM, Feb 4, 2009.

?

Which April weekend works best for you?

1. April 4-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. April 11-12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. April 18-19

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. April 25-26

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

A vote about stoves or newbies? LOL

I vote Trangia for #1 stove (maybe we need a poll).

And I vote YES for newbies (especially given that I am still somewhat of a 'live' newbie although I tend to write a lot in forums :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I do agree with Mick_Allen that the paddler needs to have basic paddling skills and not be a 'newbie' kayaker per se, but new to West Coast Paddler sounds good. Maybe we need a buddy system. :wink:

2. andreas

andreas Paddler

Good point Mick!
    Although... there is a put-in/parking lot not even 5 minutes away from the campground. But never less, your camping gear should be up for the task of winter camping--like we saw it happening last year :lol:

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I was just kidding about the vote. Of course, newcomers are welcome.

Sheila, you can do the buddy system if you like but it really boils down that everyone is responsible for themselves getting there, being there, and getting home.

We're just a bunch of people getting together for a weekend at a public campsite. There are no leaders. No one is going to hold your hand. And no one is going to tell you what you can and cannot do.

You are responsible for you. I can't stress this enough.

4. andreas

andreas Paddler

Sounds like a wild party without limits he he he :lol:

5. mossgirl

mossgirl New Member

:)
    It seems to always comes down to the food...

I would like to come.

This will be my 3rd summer paddling. I have Paddle Cda level 1 cert and have been on a couple camping trips.

I just bought a boat this winter and am keen on gettin out there!

6. oldsailor

oldsailor Paddler

I'd like to come too... I don't have any tents or sleeping bags but I have one kayak (the Telkwa) left. LOL

So what is the best way to get there... where does the ferry leave? Tsawassen? And is the ferry terminal on Pender suitable for launching? Looking at the charts and at mapquest (which shows ferry routes for the Gulf Islands) it appears that a ferry to Saturna and then a paddle WSW across Plumper Sound to Port Browning and then though the cut between N and S Pender Islands is the easiest way to get there by kayak. Am I correct?

Craig

7. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Depends on whether you're coming from the BC mainland (in which case, it would be Tsawassen), or whether you've taken the US ferry into to Victoria on Vancouver Island. If the latter, the ferries to the Gulfs leave from Swartz Bay, about a 30-40 minute drive from Victoria.

Based on my own previous experience, and recent experience by Doug L, it's brutal, especially single handed. Wheeling several hundred meters from the terminal to Otter Bay Marina looks like a better option. They quoted me a five dollar launch fee.

Plumper Sound can blow up real good, so as long as you can cope with the possibility of big seas on the beam, this would be an option.

8. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

When it comes to Trangia or white gas, I can go either way (insert your own joke here..) Yeah, I know, it's like saying I'm a Catholic AND a Protestant...

Re the potluck supper: I can do a pasta dish that's yummy and contains no meat, just some cheese, so whatever species of vegitarian it is that eats dairy products will love it...

9. waverider

waverider Paddler

Oldsailor wrote: So what is the best way to get there...

I Highly recommend taking the ferry to Saturna , there is a great pub at the dock for a pre- trip/ aft trip ale and they serve great burgers ( the view is fantastic as well) then I highly recommend crossing Plumber sound under the stars as I did last year ( as of today it is one of the most memorable paddles I have done, can't really explain it you just have to do it)
    Ps. if the conditions aren't favorable for the crossing you can always camp out on Saturna beach.

If I come alone again this year I will be doing the trip this way.

10. oldsailor

oldsailor Paddler

Where is the Otter Bay Marina? Does this require a circuit south along the west side of N. Pender (Swanson Channel) and around the southern end of N. Pender and then up to the campground? It looks like Swanson Channel could be quite a toss in a s'ly.

So what, then, are the alternatives? Or is there nothing that is protected from a s'ly unless you take a car onto the ferry to N. Pender?

Craig

11. elmo

elmo Paddler

I'll be paddling over from Sidney, Swartz Bay, or Island View and back if the weather permits. It's a fairly long paddle.

Mossgirl - I paddle this area fairly often, if you'd like to get a feel for it before the WCP weekend you are more than welcome to join me for a day outing or two. I'm sure there are people here who have paddled with me who will vouch for my strength of character, and trustworthiness.

Swanson Channel wasn't too bad last year but I made it a liesurely two day trip over on account of my inexperience, staying the first night on Portland Island. Best to get up at dawn and get across early, (before 1400hours) as the afternoon Southerlies usually pick up around then. Water gets lumpy with a breeze. Watch for tide rips off Pelorus Point on Moresby and Wallace Point on North Pender. Also watch for ferries between Moresy and Portland Island

All this can change dramatically though so check the forecasts, tides, ferry schedules, and currents before heading out.

daniel

12. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Can anyone give me current information for Boat Pass that weekend?
    I can't find it. And I need to throw some candies at my friends to get someone to go with me from Seattle.

13. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Paddler

As other's have mentioned, the ferry terminal on Pender isn't suitable for launching. Water access is treacherous at best.

Otter Bay Marina is right next to the ferry terminal, so yes, the route you described would be your option there to get to Beaumont.

It's possible to portage to Otter Bay Marina from the ferry terminal, but I'd recommend wheelies. See this thread.

14. andreas

andreas Paddler

It's quite possible that I will be taking the ferry to otter bay with my car. Of course it's too early to give you any arrival time yet, but there will be a good chance that I can give someone a ride from the ferry dock all the way to the closest parking lot. From there it takes about 30 minutes to load the boat and 10 minutes to paddle to the campground :lol: I did this several times already and works quite well for if you don't have the extra time to paddle all the way from victoria. Another benefit is that even if the weather goes mad on you, you know that it is easy to get home safe.

anyhow, if anyone is interested in a ride (maybe all the way from Vic) please let me know.

15. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I can't be there. :oops: :cry: My rotten luck I committed to another outing months ago for that weekend, and am the principal organizer for it or I would bag that one and show up at Beaumont. Great spot.

Most of the options for getting to Beaumont have been well sussed except the one three of us used last year: launching from Port Browning. About a three mile paddle, maybe less, decent parking that time of year near the pub (let them know you will be there a couple nights), good enough beach. Another option for folks not wanting to put Plumper Sound between them and a ferry ride home.

Note to Craig: the walk to Otter Bay from the Ferry Terminal, towing a loaded boat would be perhaps not your best option; I'd suggest Port Browning, and suggest you eat the bucks for vehicle transport on the ferry. Hit the ferry schedule to see what sort of options you have. My recollection is that coming from Sidney, it is not too bad, but coming from Tsawwassen was tedious. I could be way off on that. I'm tired. Long story.

16. oldsailor

oldsailor Paddler

I'm not completely sure I can make it either. But I'm working towards it. If I get to go I'll certainly miss seeing you there, Dave. Maybe seeing Maddie and her new kayak will make up for it. :p

With a car then there is also the option of launching at Bedwell and just paddling up to Beaumont. I've been all over that area (in sailboats, powerboats and even seaplanes) but never in a kayak. I had a cat jump ship in Bedwell in the 70s. We had to go back to collect him.

I'm starting to realize that a car is pretty much the only option fora guy like me who doesn't walk too well; let alone tug a kayak.

Craig

17. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

how do you pronounce Trangia?

18. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

tran-gee-ya

19. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

20. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

So are we decided on the weekend for sure ? Will it be 25th, 26th ? Hoping to come if I can get the time off work.