Plastic film to protect the deck...

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Mark_Schilling, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I've seen a number of kayaks on which people have installed some sort of clear plastic film to protect parts of the deck from scratches etc. All I know about it is that it's (reportedly) quite expensive. But I've just spent a full day sanding and polishing the deck of my new Romany so it's probably worth it to spend a few bucks to protect it from scratches.

Does anyone know exactly what this stuff is? Any ideas where I can get a bit of it here on the island? If not Victoria, I'm heading up-island towards the end of the week...

2. Quickbeam

Quickbeam Paddler

I use a product called "Magic Cover". This is probably not what you are thinking of, as it is very inexpensive. I get it at the dollar store. You can get it in either "frosted" or "clear". It actually seems to work quite well. I peel it off after summer is over, and then the following year just put some more on.

I got the idea from Paddling Net.

3. qajaq8

qajaq8 Paddler

Is the "Magic Cover" similar to what you use to apply a privacy coating to bathroom windows?

My solution is like Quickbeam's idea, except I use greenhouse tape from Lee Valley.
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,43224&p=47940

Only $8.25 for a 2" wide, 100' long roll, and it's not supposed to leave any residue.

It's quite durable stuff. I've had it on the back deck of my Ellesmere for the last 2-3 years and only corners are starting to fray. The bits I've peeled back and trimmed didn't leave any residue. The tape itself doesn't absorb any water and compromise the adhesive over time. I should've put some on the back deck my Baffin too. The storing of spoon and Greenland paddles over the last two years has made the back deck look as well used as the hull! :(

You can barely make it out, if you look at the orange kayak, b/w the stern hatch cover and the grey hole for the skeg rope, underneath the bungees, you can see the tape in use.

[​IMG]

While they say it's transparent, depending on the colour of your deck, it is slightly green.

Were you looking for something more permanent?

4. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

After a bit of hunting at various sign and auto body / custom paint shops, I managed to find some. It's a 3M product marketed as paint protection film. Its primary use is on custom auto paint jobs to protect from rock chips etc. It is rather expensive - a 7 foot roll of 12" wide tape costs $56; rolls of 6" and 4" film are also available (I paid $31 for 7 feet of the 6" film). Auto shops can also bring in bigger (wider) rolls, I believe.

It is designed to survive the elements, and will stretch over compound curves etc. I haven't applied it yet but I have a feeling it's incredibly tough stuff.

Thanks for all the replies!

5. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

I would say use what Mark found. IT is used as a protective film on cars headlights and hoods to protect from rock chips. No adhesive is used and it comes off fairly easy. Just get a clay bar to clean the contaminants of your gel coat(or what have you) and the stuff sticks well with a mist of water and a squeegee.
    I had it on my Porsche 935 and it wouldn't lift off at 185mph.

6. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Yeah I think it should work well. I won't be paddling at 185Mph, so I'll have to see what I can come up with in the BMW 5-series (with the kayak on top, of course). Unfortunately I think it's electronically limited to 251 kph (for now). :evil:

7. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Nice that you have a 5 series!!!

I lost the Porsche in my first Divorce!!!!!

8. rider

rider Paddler

As someone who works in a bodyshop and once in a while gets freebie samples :wink: , I used that stuff on the deck of my Legend. There's the 3M product and there's one or two other brands out there,all work similar. I am not a huge fan of applying decals(but rarely screw them up), but applying something big enough to protect the foredeck is not always easy. Make sure you do it wet(doing it dry you don't stand a chance). Use a good squeegie (I like the rubber 3M ones). Make sure your hands are CLEAN when you do it,any dirt will show through the clear stuff. Try to do it with minimal stretching. Me,next glass boat I get, if that ever happens, I'll probably use 3M Safety Walk as I did on Patchy the GTS,but that would probably not suit your Romany.

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Sounds like you now have someone to paddle with... sometimes "costs" can't be measured in dollars and sense! (and who needs to go 185 anyway unless they are trying to lift off the deck before the end of the runway?)

10. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Ed, the third one(This one) is a keeper!

I have done one catapult launch in an F-14 Tomcat. I nearly peed myself I was so excited!

Recoveries on a Flat top are not fun. That is why military flies you sitting backwards!

11. Byron

Byron Paddler

Wonder how well it would work as a lazy man's keel strip?

12. rider

rider Paddler

Very poorly.

13. Byron

Byron Paddler

Pity. I'm not familiar with the product, but had noticed 3M application notes listed this as one of the marine applications.

14. camshaft

camshaft Paddler

This is a great thread... as I was thinking the same idea

17.00 ;( 16.00 shipped to canada, or free in USA
    12"x 24" Venture Shield Paint Protection Film clear bra
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-x-24- ... ccessories

7.00 free ship but from china
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIY-Elec ... ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/100-Clea ... ccessories

15. chodups

chodups Paddler

Blue Water Kayak Works is packaging a protective film. I have no idea what the mil is or how it compares to mentioned products.
    A package with with 5 pieces of film:
    1 piece 27" x 24"
    2 pieces 9" x 24"
    2 pieces 6" x 36"
    Retails for $49.99 USD
    I didn't find it listed on their website (www.bluewaterkayakworks.com) but Rhonda Schawb at Kayakers Go Coastal, Inc. has it in stock.
    Each piece is accompanied with a piece of paper to make templates from.
    Instructions are almost non-existent. I saw some installed and it looked good. Hard to say what sort of results I will have.

Jon