Plywood source in Seattle ?

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Hugo V, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Hugo V

Hugo V New Member

Hello,

I'll be starting a S&G Night Heron in a couple of months (after we finish moving to a new place). Since budget will be tight, I'm planning to buy just the plans and trace them on plywood. This will be my third boat (previously built an Arctic Tern 14 and an Arctic Tern 17 from kits).

Does anybody know of a good source for 4 mm plywood (mahoganny or sapele) in the Seattle area ? My understanding is that, since I'll be sandwiching the plywood with epoxy/fiberglass, it doesn't need to be marine grade, is that correct ?

Regards,

Hugo

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Hugo, very difficult to find plywood without voids unless you go with the marine grade Lloyds BS 1088 marine plywood. In 4 mm, especially. Probably run 80-90 bucks a sheet. Not familiar with sources in the Seattle area. If you want price comparisons, try these: Edensaw in Port Townsend is one source. Crosscut Hardwoods in Portland is another. Right now supply is down, so check before you venture. They will reserve some sheets for you.

3. Hugo V

Hugo V New Member

Thanks very much Dave,

Hugo

4. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

Crosscut hardwoods just off of 4 Ave S, a little south of S Spokane St on the east side of 4th.

If you don't mind driving to Port Townsend, you can purchase sheets from Pygmy Kayaks.

5. Hugo V

Hugo V New Member

Thanks very much Roy, will try to hop over that place on 4th Ave. Never crossed my mind that Pygmy will sell them. I'll be in Port Townsend several times during this summer, good to know that's another option.

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Hugo,

Edensaw has an outlet just S of Port Townsend, also. Not sure where Pygmy gets its plywood. Also, a shrewd guy who knows I-5 might be able to circumvent that WA sales tax by selecting plywood from the Crosscut outlet in Portland, OR.

7. Whidbey

Whidbey Paddler

I seem to recall hearing or seeing that Pygmy bought their plywood from Edensaw. I think it may have been mentioned in Edensaw's booth at the Wooden Boat Show.

Roy, thanks for the source this side of the water. I've been looking for a place myself.

James

8. KathyD

KathyD Paddler

9. xplorz

xplorz Paddler

I recently bought 5 sheets of 1/4 marine grade mahogany plywood from Mr Plywood in Portland for $32/sheet. No tax to this Washington resident. :wink: Not sure if they had 4mm.

Mr Plywood Link

10. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

Correction to my previous post - Crosscut hardwoods located off of first ave s. I suspect you've already discovered this if you went to look them up.

11. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

12. Constructeur

Constructeur New Member

Re: Plywood source in Seattle

Bumping this older post as I wanted to tell everyone it's worth shopping around, and double check that what you're getting priced is the BS 1088 not the cheaper Chinese materials. I haven't found anything as cheap as Mr. Plywood up here in Seattle, but as of 4/22/2011:

Pygmy direct: $55

Edensaw: $83

Crosscut Seattle: $47.50

This is for the full sheet of Okoume 4mm BS 1088

13. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

2 answer your question " it doesn't need to be marine grade, is that correct ?"
    Any exterior or floor grade plywoods use the same type of glue and are water proof like Marine Grade.
    BUT:
    The layers are not solid like marine plywood. This does not reduce the strength in sandwich core construction.
    However if you do not seal every edge water will wick in to the wood. The glue will then discolor the panel.
    All it will take is one pin hole to ruin the appearance of your boat.
    If you go this route, seal, seal, and reseal all exposed edges. Wrap the glass around the edge of your hatches.
    Floor underlayment comes in 5 mm thickness.
    The other problem with non marine plywoods is the veneer thickness. The lower cost materials will have very thin veneers. Building with a thin veneer is possible, but takes a lot of extra care.
    Or just paint the boat and save a lot of time and money!
    Roy

14. AJZindel

AJZindel New Member

Hugo,

I have built the Artic Tern in 17' and my son and I built the night Heron as well. How has your construction and paddling gone?