Portland Island Update

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by andreas, Aug 20, 2006.

1. andreas

andreas Paddler

just got back from a solo 1 nighter on portland and found a nice surprise there!
    [​IMG]
    there is a brand new none smelly composting outhouse (or like we germans like to call it--scheisshaus :lol: )

[​IMG]
    the instuctions say that "after a deposit of solid waste" you should put a handfull of wood chips down the hole.

otherwise nothing new on portland......
    i had to park on the payparking lot at the ferry terminal for 10$ /24 hours(could be worse) but i got up to late :roll: and wasn't sure if i will make it back for 8a.m. so i phoned the 1800# to get an extra hour charged to my visa card---so they did :evil: 5.67$ for 1more hour 8O that's how they make there money! so next time i go and pay for 2 nights and i'm on the save site and don't have to get stressed out about getting back on time. (i broke my record in paddling back to swartz bay--1hour!! usually 1.5-2 hours)

so mutch about my weekend.

2. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

Could you fix the pictures or links or whatever they are?

I don't think your pictures, or maybe the links to the pictures are working properly because all I see is the little "something-is-wrong" icon where pictures should be. I'd be interested in seeing them if you have the time to re-do them.
    I notice the same thing about money-grubbing parking lots wherever there's a put-in. You used to be able to just park somewhere --- not anymore. If the parking lot owners do it properly and use some of the money to pay for improved security then I'd be happy to pay $5/day with the high property theft rates around here, just to get a little enhanced security.

3. ztar

ztar Paddler

Re: Could you fix the pictures or links or whatever they are

I simply RIGHT-CLICK and choose VIEW PICTURE (using FireFox browser)

4. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Wow that is good news.....maybe the emails we sent after our last trip helped. We just got back from Discovery.....hopefully it's on the list as well :p

5. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Cabbage Island now has a single Phoenix composting toilet too. I read somewhere on a sign there that is was the first of the islands to get one installed... good to hear the rest are being converted too! Now if only they'd bring the water back... :roll:

6. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

We stayed up at Cathedral Lakes Park a couple of years ago, in the cabin with the park warden, and they have one of those composting outhouses in the cabin.....thought it would be horrible but it did actually work!

7. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

8. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

That is awesome Darren! Can't wait to see the other ones! Now I really have to get a waterproof housing for my video camera......

9. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Yup!