Prevost Island trip last weekend

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Dan_Millsip, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I must say that despite the excessive rain, high winds, and mud at the campsite, our paddle to Prevost Island was very enjoyable.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day trip that Mark, Mick and I took to Ganges on Saturday -- we got some great surfing in.

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Yup - awesome trip! If the only measure of how much fun a trip was, was how many times my spray deck was swamped, well, this would have been the best trip so far! :lol: :wink: 8) :eek:

So... where are we going this weekend? :idea:

3. tim_in_bc

tim_in_bc Paddler

I am hoping to get out the first week of May for an overnight trip to an island like Portland island.

Anyone interested?

4. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Portland is one of my favs. I might be into joining you.

5. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Haven't camped there yet - it seems to be one of the islands that I always paddle past on the way to more distant shores. Sounds like fun though - consider me a definite maybe. 8)

6. tim_in_bc

tim_in_bc Paddler

I thought Portland might be interesting but I would be open to other trips in the area. Perhaps a two island trip?

7. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Rum Island is still one of my favourites - it's a little more exposed than most of the closer islands and it's farther to paddle, but the scenery is pretty amazing. A trip to Rum (Isle de Lis) is a bit more weather-dependant in the spring time, but come May hopefully there'll be a bit less wind than there has been recently. It's also more dependant on the abilities and comfort level of paddlers.

8. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

I did a nice day paddle to Portland from Sidney last weekend - 20 km round trip - quite a bit less if you set off from Swartz head. There are several nice campsites there - my favourites are the one on the west side across from Brackman Island and the point at the NE corner.
    I could be up for an overnighter there too - I may head over there later this month with my family. Rum and Darcy are also nice for over night trips.

9. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I hope the weather improves soon. I’ve been driving around with my kayak on the rack since Saturday! 8O