Prince William Sound Alaska

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Denis Dwyer, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Denis Dwyer

Denis Dwyer Paddler

In the summer of 2014 I paddled 200 miles between Whittier and Valdez Alaska.
    I followed a roundabout route through some of the more scenic fjords which took me two weeks.
    The link below connects to a YouTube video slideshow with about 40 pictures of the trip.

https://youtu.be/ug60sB5L12Y

chodups likes this.
  2. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Wow! Gorgeous pix--what an amazing trip! Did you see any bears?

3. Denis Dwyer

Denis Dwyer Paddler

Glad you liked the photos.
    Didn't see a single bear.
    Not even a trace.

chodups likes this.
  4. paddlesores

paddlesores Paddler

Thanks for posting those pics Denis. Beautiful looking area. On my bucket list is paddling near glaciers and among bergs. Something to look forward to. What were you using for a shelter on that trip? Looks like a nylon tipi of some sort?

Doug

5. Denis Dwyer

Denis Dwyer Paddler

Doug
    I carry a pyramid tent and a Mountain Hardwear solo tent and use one or the other depending on conditions. If the rain is coming down hard or long I cover those with a nylon tarp.

6. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Very beautiful

7. Mike Arthur

Mike Arthur New Member

Hi Doug, great looking trip on PWS. Several of us are considering a 10 - 14 day self supported expedition there in summer 2018. We have done many multi day trips in Queen Charlottes, Glacier Bay, Newfoundland, NS and Baja. Looking for any advice on routes. Also wondered how much motorized boat traffic you encountered and any difficulty in finding campsites? Thanks.
    Mike Arthur
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

8. Denis Dwyer

Denis Dwyer Paddler

Whittier to Valdez is a nice trip. Not much boat traffic and plenty of places to camp.

Astoriadave likes this.
  9. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Denis-
    Beautiful pics.
    Thanks for posting another inspirational trip!
    I'd like to add it to 'my list'!

EDIT: After posting this, I realized that there's info at Denis' website (in his sig)....
    Did you take the AK ferry to 'get up there', or drive? I'm assuming you used the ferry to get back to your starting spot at least?
    Any problems or details about the Whittier and Valdez 'ends' of the trip that you could share? Ferry to kayak launch spot, hotel/camping spots, etc.. Did you take/need kayak wheels on the trip?
    Did you pick campsites from charts, Google Earth, or are there other reference sources for camping info that you used?
    Thanks!

10. semdoug

semdoug Paddler

Four years working and living in PWS and I never saw a bear on the west side, but saw many on the east near Cordova.

11. Denis Dwyer

Denis Dwyer Paddler

John - Don't know how I missed your question. It's been a few months since you posted it so here's my late reply. I did drive from home in New Orleans to my put-in at Whittier. I took the ferry from Valdez back to Whittier. The put-in and take-out is easy with camping within walking distance from both ferry terminals. You will need wheels at the Valdez end. There are plenty of campsites in PWS. Alaska ShoreZone can help you identify beaches that would make good campsites. Here is a link to a book I wrote about kayaking in PWS. https://www.amazon.com/Alone-Sound-Explorers-Kayaking-Alaskas/dp/1502316978/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

12. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Just got back from my trip in PWS - 2 weeks paddling a loop from/to Whittier. Spectacular country and the season (May) meant that all the mountains had plenty of snow, so the scenery was excellent.
    You need to have your wet weather gear and camping techniques worked out.
    Some campsites behind beaches that might be OK in mid-summer were too wet to use as the snow was still melting.
    All our paddling days had calm conditions - I only had my knees under the side decks for an hour for the whole trip.
    No people
    No bugs
    No bears
    Did I mention : No people! :)
    Definitely worth the (4 day) drive from Victoria - the driving scenery would make a road trip worthwhile, even without the paddlng.
    Denis: Thanks for your book and info. We used several of the campsite waypoints from your book and the sites were excellent.
    Also thanks to Jim Scherr, Doug Stephens and Richard Gudmundsson for emailed advice.
    Paul Twardock's book is also a good resource. The Don Douglass charts from Cave Art Press are good.

Once I get my gear dried out and the pics organized, I'll post a few more details.
    Harriman campsite.JPG

Denis Dwyer and Astoriadave like this.
  13. Denis Dwyer

Denis Dwyer Paddler

I camped at this same location in Harriman Fiord in 1987 and again in 2014. Your tent site choice was definitely more creative than my pick down on the beach. I distinctly recall hearing the icebergs fracturing and sending loud booms like thunder claps echoing back and forth down the fiord.