• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Pygmy Double Completed

keabird

Paddler
I just finished building a Pygmy Double a couple of days ago and wanted to post a few photos. I built it for a customer down in Olympia, WA.

t took me just under 2 months and a total of 110 hours to build. I added two extra bulkheads to create a center compartment between the cockpits. I also used the footbrace studs so I wouldn't have to drill through the hull for the footbraces.

My favorite part of the boat has got to be the Smart Track rudder system. This being my first experience with them I must say I am very impressed with it. It is extremely easy to adjust cable tension and the way the footbraces are solid while the paddler uses their toes to steer is ingenious.

Photo of center compartment:

DSC02751.jpg

Photo of the Smart Track rudder:

DSC02762.jpg

Photo of the completed boat!

DSC02764.jpg

More photos can be seen at my website under completed projects/hull #6

kea,

That is a nice looking double. Great work!

I see the forward access to the center compartment is a port hole. How did you configure the compartment walls to the rear to allow good foot/leg room?

I have often thought about compartmenting the center section of my double, but the stumbling block has always been the feeling that I would lose storage space by enclosing that area. Currently, I jam a couple large dry bags into the center space, one on top of another, run longitudinally, both strapped securely to the hull via those PVC extrusion mounts Dan sells at Western, but there is even so a lot of unused space around the bags. I'm leery of packing loose gear around the bags for entrapment reasons. Maybe what you have done is a better solution.

The center compartment is just under 12 inches between bulkheads. I put one bulkhead in just a few mm forward of the aft footbraces and the the other is a couple inches shy of the front cockpit. I thought about making some kind of curved bulkhead or building little pockets for the feet but the customer just wanted something simple to keep valuables. They also mentioned that they might put dry ice in there and use it as a built in ice chest for frozen items on weekend trips.

Nice job keabird... That rudder setup sounds interesting in that one of my dislikes about rudders is the mushy feel of the footbraces when the rudder is deployed and that system sounds like it has reduced that problem.

Brad

Back