Quest X3 vs Telkwa Sport

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by rachel walker, Feb 20, 2016.

1. rachel walker

rachel walker New Member

Hello!
    I'm about to purchase my first sea kayak (yay!) and i'm looking for some advice. I've narrowed it down between the Quest X3 and the Telkwa Sport. I 'tried' both boats but only for a few minutes and unloaded so obviously didn't get a great feel for them, other then they both fit comfortably enough. I have been paddling for years and could probably be considered an intermediate paddler. I'm 5'6 and 150lbs.
    Obviously the Quest felt 'twitchier' but not too terribly and again, the boat was unloaded. My impression was the Telkwa Sport would be more of a beginners boat. I'm looking for a touring boat that is as versatile as possible. I'd like to improve my paddling skills but also feel confident in heavy seas and high winds.
    Anyone have experience with these boats and/or can otherwise offer some insight?
    Thanks!

2. blacksheep

blacksheep Paddler

I have paddled both the quest and the regular Telkwa
    The sport is a little small for me
    In my experience the Telkwa is a great boat I have had extremely experienced paddlers in it right down to first time paddlers
    It is much more manoeuvrable than the quest
    There is no one perfect boat but I would lean towards the Telkwa
    In a perfect world trying both on an extended trip would be the best bet