Questions about fuselage design vs conventioal SOF

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by TTkayaker, Feb 8, 2014.

1. TTkayaker

TTkayaker New Member

Like to build Greenland style SOF. A fuselage design seems easier. Any drawbacks?
    Where can I get plans ?

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Showing my ignorance, what is a fuselage design? Is that another term for a stitch and glue plywood hull?

3. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

Feathercraft folders would be an example of fuselage design, whereas a kayak like paddlesores or lam have built would be "conventional" SOF. Kudzucraft seems to suggest fuselage style are quite easy to build compared to conventional. Having started a conventional SOF very recently I can attest to the satisfaction, if not the simplicity, of traditional construction (with modern tools, of course).

4. TTkayaker

TTkayaker New Member

The fuselage design uses plywood cross-sections to support the gunwales and stringers. NO bending or steam required.
    It is covered with cloth just like any other skin-on-frame kayak.

5. Roy

Roy Paddler

That is the method used by Mr. Yost. His plans are free at yostwerks.com. My next skin on frame will be his Nikumi, the frames are already cut.

6. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

A couple more would be http://kudzucraft.com/ and http://www.gentrycustomboats.com/

Kudzu (Jeff Horton) has some great Youtube instructionals on lashing, his book also includes plans for a few models. Dave Gentry was the person who first started using PL premium for a skin coating on polyester I believe.

I'm hoping to watch (with minor assistance) another Tom Yost design come together in my garage this winter.

Nice choice Roy, the Nikumi's are great looking baidarkas.

7. TTkayaker

TTkayaker New Member

David Gentry fuselage designs for SOF

Has anybody out there built a Disko Bay design of David Gentry?
    If so, how does it paddle?

8. Roy

Roy Paddler

Thanks for the links Bigandsmall. Although I've built several skin on frame boats I've not used polyester before. With the video instruction on Kudzu's site I think that's what I'll use this time. The nylon skin I used before did tend to sag a bit too much even though it was drum tight to start with.

9. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

TTkayaker, I've not built Dave's version of the Disko Bay but the one shown on his site built by Clayton Plunkett is one of the nicest looking kayaks I've even seen. I had it as my desktop wallpaper for a long time. I was interested in building one but was warned here that Disko Bay replicas are designed to weather cock. We settled on a scaled Yost Sea Rider instead and put two bars down the front like the Disko Bay but without the swoopy ends. Doesn't look nearly as nice as Clayton's Disko though.

Roy, those videos sure do make the skinning process look much easier.

10. Tsunami

Tsunami Paddler

Wow their are some pretty nice kits there. I like the clear vinyl skin, though with paint I could airbrush some cool looking flame design on it.
    I wonder about adding flotation? Bulkheads w/hatches? Would add to the cost and reading the Disko Dreadnought having the largest carrying capacity of 250lbs that only leaves 25 lbs for gear with me in the boat, not much of a long weekend camp over unit but would serve well playing for the day.
    And the video from http://kudzucraft.com/ Lol, he beats that skin pretty well and it stands up to more than I thought it would.
    I could build one of these in my living room, being a single guy has its advantages :lol:
    Great thread :big_thumb
    Tiger Tsunami.

11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Guy who owns http://capefalconkayak.com/index.html whales on his SOF boats to demo their durability. Regularly runs them through meaty six foot plunging surf off Manzanita, OR, claims they hold up as well as composite boats.

His site is worth checking out for some nice photos, other SOF info. Couple buddies have done his SOF class, taken home a finished boat, except for the coating of the nylon skin. I believe he prebends the ribs and does a little patterning of other parts to make it possible to get things done in a week.

No affiliation with his business.

12. TTkayaker

TTkayaker New Member

What did you mean by weather cock with the Disko Bay? How stable is your Sea Rider? Did you increase the beam of 19.5" That seems
    a little narrow. Most kayaks like this seem to be around 22".

13. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

By weather cock I mean it will react just like a weather vane when the wind comes on an angle. The Sea Rider belongs to my wife and I scaled it so much it would not be fair to compare it to a regular one. Hindsight I should have just built her a Sea Pup as I think Mr. Yost nailed the petite paddlers dimensions on that design. Hers is 18" wide and since she is very small it paddles fine, you can find the build thread on here down the page further. It tracks very hard and is very fast, wind is not an issue. I wonder how much it changed the design adjusting those offsets, did we lose a lot of stability? It is stable enough that she can paddle it in hot weather with her legs hanging over the side and she nailed the cowboy scramble first try. I tell myself this is a size thing and not a skill thing to make myself feel better but will admit she has great balance. I have read positive comments on both the Sea Rider and the Roldarka LC Yost designs but have not paddled either. My understanding it the Kudzucraft boats are much more stable designs if that's what you're looking for.

14. Oldpro

Oldpro Paddler

Doesn't the aircraft builder refer to what we call "stringers" and sheer strips and gunwales as "longerons" or something like that?

As to durability, it looked to me that in the video he was banging on the stringers, not on the fabric between them. Still; pretty darn tough!

Brad

15. scottlong

scottlong New Member

I've built both. The fuselage was less than half the build time, lighter, easier, less tools. The most difficult part was laying out the plywood bulkheads. Yost has the most plans, look in the folding section as well, for a greater variety.
    The traditional was more work, more weight, but the result is worth it in my opinion, and what I am building again.
    I've done the strip built as well, and atthough you can't beat it for looks, timewise it doubles a traditional build.

Depends what you want I guess. Pure function, fuselage. Better asthetics and a bit more of a challenge, traditional.

Just my 5 cents....

16. matinicusrock

matinicusrock New Member

I am building a stitch and glue with skinned deck hybrid. Actually, I'm helping to build it after bringing my ideas to Dan Caouette of Clearstream Custom Watercraft. He builds great boats and is a wizard. We co-designed my boat and am almost done building it.

You might want to check out Dan's website or fb page. Here's the link to his fb album for my kayak (his pics are better than mine), MatinicusRock175 https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 097&type=3

Enjoy your journey