Race to Alaska

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by M2G, Jun 3, 2015.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

2. M2G

M2G Paddler

No doubt about that.

If this race continues there will be those who wish to best that new record for first solo finisher. The story of such a race contender is certain to be among the more interesting to follow.

Imagine if Roger hadn't made the mistakes he highlights in that report. He would have likely finished ahead of several other *teams*. Remarkable.

A large part of Roger's success was no doubt due to his boat choice. Small, relatively light and stable. A good sized sail, which is easily and very quickly adjusted, on the fly. Also, what seems to be a very efficient form of human powered propulsion in the Hobie Mirage Drive.

Here's a random video of the 2015 Hobie Adventure Island (the year model Roger used). It has an even larger sail, more rearward seating position and changes to the bow shape, among some other improvements over 2014 and older versions.

[shortyoutube]http://youtu.be/86uDmL2OsIc[/shortyoutube]

Back to the sole, primarily human-powered team, Team Mike's Kayak.

The only video I've come across featuring Mike is this one taken back at the start in Victoria. Seen here twice:

http://youtu.be/fDZ1BSlu4Ic?t=1m30s

Mike is on the move today, currently in 13th place, having recharged at Shearwater Resort. John is now bringing up the rear since the two teams behind him withdrew from the race yesterday.

Cheers

3. M2G

M2G Paddler

4. M2G

M2G Paddler

R2AK was so bored with their latest update that they called the participants, even some who have already finished, boring. Or something.

http://r2ak.com/daily-updates-2/june-24/

Mike is driving a bit of conversation over on the Wooden Boat Forum due to his route choice, with looks like a serious portage attempt, until you switch the tracker to sat view.

Go Mike.

5. tiagosantos

tiagosantos Paddler

Slow on the updates the past few days, but Team Mike and Team Boatyard Boys have been neck and neck for a while! They've taken pretty different routes and Mike was in the lead for quite a while, but as of this morning, seems to have been caught and overtaken by the Boatyard Boys. They're almost side by side on the map, but the BBoys dory is quite a bit closer to the target and at present, doing almost 2 knots more than Mike.

There's a good chance Mike will get to Ketchikan tomorrow, I think!

6. M2G

M2G Paddler

Not sure if you mean I've been slow on the updates, or if R2AK has been....but either way, it's certainly valid! :)

The race has slowed down in the last several days. Fewer people out there pushing on toward Ketchikan, plus participants being in an area where no team got much coverage because of the lack of civilization. Also, look at the frequency of updates from R2AK

June 16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24...28.. That last update was solely about Team Excellent Adventure, and rightly so since R2AK didn't even acknowledge that they had finished for nearly two hours after they in fact had. ...and that was during business hours on a weekday.

Mike: If we believe what he's said in the past, he isn't racing any of the participants, only the sweep. If he were racing, I don't think the Boatyard Boys would be passing him. Mike had quite the lead on them for a while, heck...for nearly the entire race thus far. Either way, I hope he's having a great time.

Speaking of kayaks, John should be done at Bella Bella if he holds true to his word. But perhaps he's changed his mind. Nothing on that from R2AK. His tracker still shows active at Shearwater Resort.

Team Barefoot Wooden Boats last circumnavigated an island and seems to be in no hurry at all. They just might be meeting the sweep boat before long.

Cheers.

7. M2G

M2G Paddler

0655: Team Mike's Kayak is now about 20 NM from the finish, and he's on the move.

Boatyard Boys finished last night.

8. M2G

M2G Paddler

9. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Mike's in. 750 miles of paddling.

10. M2G

M2G Paddler

Nice shot of Mike that hasn't been discovered by R2AK yet.

https://instagram.com/p/4lZd1oF19e/

I'd expect that today's R2AK update will feature Mike's answers to their post finish interview questions, done right there on the dock when the teams step off their boats.

Over 560 people liked the finish line photo of him, on the race's FB page. It wasn't even a good photograph. One of the most liked images during the entire race.

https://www.facebook.com/59621629050604 ... 379306336/

Cheers.

11. pikabike

pikabike Paddler

Thanks for posting the Instagram shot.

I think the Facebook one has so much power because Mike is the smallest thing in that photo except individual rocks in the jetty. And the setting is a very tiny part of the environment he has been living in the last few weeks. Really communicates the scale of a lone paddler to the sea.

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

:big_thumb on that, pikabike. The composition says it all. Plus, Mike is suitably aged.

13. M2G

M2G Paddler

We must be talking about different photos. So many people identify with the effort Mike put into this journey that in result, his pinned finish photo is one of the most liked images shared by R2AK. :big_thumb Over 600 people liked it because of Mike's accomplishment, which is reflected in the comments, none likely mention the photo at all. The image itself is hardly worth talking about, is super low quality and lacks subject isolation.

Congrats Mike! Looking forward to hearing what he has to say about his "race".

Cheers.

14. M2G

M2G Paddler

15. M2G

M2G Paddler

Since there's STILL no update/recap, BASKing Mike in his limelight of completion for the R2AK, I'll go ahead and share this, hip little video:

https://www.facebook.com/blastcow/video ... 7459520981

Last team in this race should hit Ketchikan today; Team Barefoot Wooden Boats. Looks like Mike is already bound for home. He left his R2AK tracker on and in doing so, set a tracker speed record for this race.

Cheers.

16. M2G

M2G Paddler

17. pikabike

pikabike Paddler

Nope, I am talking about the photo that is technically of low quality yet still conveys Mike's big spirit in a physically small package. The kudos for the Facebook posting congratulate MIKE, not the photographer. But the photographer was there to grab the shot. It isn't always about having the best equipment.

18. M2G

M2G Paddler

Nothing in reply to Pikabike, but I will pull the link onto the current page for any benefit to those wondering what all the talk is about.

https://www.facebook.com/59621629050604 ... 379306336/

Cheers.

19. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Well, I am embarrassed! Truly, I think the instagram photo says it better. Somehow, the two got swapped in my head!

In any case, seems plain lots of folks appreciate and understand his achievement. Hitting 20 miles a day for over a month demands real grit.

20. M2G

M2G Paddler

Lol. I was wondering how you could tell he was "suitably-aged" in that shot. Exactly why I thought we were talking about two different images Dave. :wink:

Yeah, I think this race has brought kayaking into the minds of many who might not ever look to do it.

Last racer has the finish line in sight. My last report for the evening. Tis been a very interesting event/race.

Cheers.